Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » Trooping the Colour Takes Place in London in June by:Simon Brooke
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Trooping the Colour Takes Place in London in June by:Simon Brooke

It's one of the oldest and most colourful ceremonies that take place annually

in London and every London city break or tour of London should include it. In June HM The Queen oversees Trooping the Colour but not many people know the history of this great event.

On 12th June at 2010 at 10am will see the annual Trooping the Colour ceremony. This colourful event full of pomp and ceremony, takes place on Horse Guards Parade, between St James's Park and Whitehall and it marks HM The Queen's official birthday.

As www.mp3cityguides.com explains in its London Mp3 Tour, the Horse Guards was the original site of Henry VIII's great Whitehall Palace. The king was very fond of jousting or 'tilting' as it was known, and so he had huge 'tilt yard' laid out behind this building - you can probably see it from the street or you can wander through the gates and the arch beyond them for a better look. Henry's daughter Elizabeth I was also a fan of jousting and arranged for a major festival to be held every year on her birthday and on the anniversary of her accession to the throne - something which is continues to this day when the present Queen presides over the Trooping the Colour.

Horse GuardsTrooping the Colour Takes Place in London in June by:Simon Brooke

A building was originally constructed here by King Charles II as a barracks to house the newly formed Household Cavalry and the Coldstream Guards. It was redeveloped into what you can see today - still known as Horse Guards - during the eighteenth century.

The ceremony of Trooping the Colour is full of military symbolism and pageantry as HM The Queen carries out an inspection of the troops from the Household Division. Her Majesty then leads the troops down the Mall to Buckingham Palace one of London's most famous landmarks. As we explain in our iPod Audio Tour of London, Buckingham Palace was originally the home of the Duke of Buckingham, built, it's said, on the site of a well known brothel. George III bought it in 1761 as a home for his wife, Queen Charlotte and she gave birth to 14 of their 15 children here. When the extravagant, larger than life George IV came to the throne and moved out of Carlton House where he had lived as Prince of Wales, he employed his favourite architect John Nash to turn Buckingham House into a royal palace.

Trooping the Colour route

Nash built rooms on the far side of the building, away from the Mall, overlooking the gardens. He also extended the two wings either side but left the building with an open courtyard facing out into what is now the Mall. In the middle he put a Marble Arch celebrating the great British victories at Trafalgar and Waterloo.

The Queen salutes and guns are fired in Green Park and at the Tower of London. Finally she joins other members of the Royal Family on the balcony to watch the RAF flypast.

After existing in its earliest form since the reign of Elizabeth, the Trooping the Colour ceremony was restored in 1820 on the accession of King George IV. The main aspects of the parade have changed very little since then. Trooping the Colour has been held each year in London, apart from during the world wars and a national rail strike in 1955.

Although the official birthday is celebrated in June, Queen Elizabeth II's actual birthday is in April. Monarchs are traditionally given a second birthday if they were born in winter, in case the weather is unsuitable for an outdoor event.Trooping the Colour Takes Place in London in June by:Simon Brooke

If you're not lucky enough to get a ticket for Trooping the Colour, you can join the crowds of spectators along the Mall to watch all the action.

Alternatively, there are rehearsal events held on the two Saturdays before Trooping the Colour: The Major General's Review and The Colonel's Review.

About the author

I'm an award winning journalist and novelist. I write city guides for many national UK newspapers and for websites throughout the world. I recently set up mp3cityguides which allows you to download a walking tour of a European city onto your iPod or mp3player. I've done over 20 mp3 tours now. While you wander along the route I've worked out for you, I'll tell you what to look out for and tell you about what you're seeing.
Budget Flights For Hyderabad by:Alivia Martin Claremont Hotel: Luxury in the East Bay by:Cary Ordway Places That You Have To Visit In Australia by:Michelle Jones Kissimmee Vacation Rentals for the Perfect Florida Experience by:Michiel Van Kets I Love Touring Rome, Italy - Hotels In The Aventino District by:Levi Reiss Surviving the Water Park: 10 Things to Think About by:Don Haines Holidays In The Dolomites: Falcade by:Francesca Tessarollo Flourishing Travel Destination in India by:Tracy Barb Enjoy Mothers Day on Sydney Harbour Cruises by:Alice Mathew An Overview Of Charter Buses And Their Advantages by:David William I Love Italian Travel - Attractions of Northern Italy During May, Part II by:Levi Reiss I Love Italian Travel - May Attractions Of Campania And Apulia by:Levi Reiss I Love Touring Venice, Italy - San Marco District Hotels by:Levi Reiss
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.147.85.183) / Processed in 0.005489 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 28 , 4329, 954,