Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » I Love Italian Travel - May Attractions Of Campania And Apulia by:Levi Reiss
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

I Love Italian Travel - May Attractions Of Campania And Apulia by:Levi Reiss

So you are thinking of visiting southern Italy in May

, but you're just not sure what to see and to do. Don't you despair; there are lots and lots of special spring events that simply aren't available in the good old summertime. Here are a few of them. Get rolling; May is almost upon us. We start our virtual tour in Campania on the coast of the Tyrhennian Sea and then head east to Apulia on the Adriatic seacoast. There are so many things to see and do in southern Italy in May that this is the first of three articles.

The Campania port city of Salerno, whose population numbers approximately 150 thousand, is situated about 35 miles (55 kilometers) southeast of the regional capital Naples. On the first weekend of May it celebrates Fieravecchia, one of Europe's oldest fairs, which has been going on since 1259. This medieval pageant is now largely a food trade fair which showcases literally hundreds of local pasta varieties and other great foods such as salami and tomato preparations, and water buffalo mozzarella cheese. Did I mention two fine local liquids, olive oil and wine? Actually there is another fine liquid which is found almost nowhere else, limoncello, a sweet, lemon-tasting local liqueur. Festivities include a street pageant, music, artisan vendors and a 2,000 egg omelet.

In the little town of San Andrea di Conza, population about 2000, the end of May is celebrated with local May Day Festivities known as Maggiaiole. Devoutly religious local young girls march to Conza. Their heads are covered by a white handkerchief and a crown of gooseberry vines as they lead the populace. This religious manifestation effectively signifies the return of the people of Saint Andrea to Conza, their place of origin.

The Apulian region capital of Bari, population over 300 thousand, celebrates its Feast of Saint Nicholas, starting on May 7th and running through the weekend. This festival commemorates the return of the Saint's relics to Bari in 1807. On Saturday the parade of locals dressed in traditional costumes departs from the Twelfth Century Norman Svevo Castle and proceeds to the Saint's Basilica. The following evening another parade wends its way through torchlit streets. The faithful transport a statue of Saint Nicholas to a floating altar situated in a fishing boat. Unlike many other Italian festivals, this one does not revolve around food. Those who march get a roll. But the lack of food doesn't stop them from participating and shouldn't stop you from enjoying the festivities. And I have the sneaking suspicion that you will be able to find some delicious food and wine once the celebration is over.I Love Italian Travel - May Attractions Of Campania And Apulia by:Levi Reiss

About the author

Over the years Levi Reiss has authored or co-authored ten books on computers and the Internet but simply prefers drinking fine Italian or other wine, with the right foods. He teaches a variety of computer classes at an Ontario French-language community college. Visit his Italian travel website http://www.travelitalytravel.com which includes information on Italian wine and food.
I Love Touring Venice, Italy - San Marco District Hotels by:Levi Reiss I Love Touring Venice Italy - Hotels In The Cannaregio District by:Levi Reiss I Love Italian Travel - May Attractions Of Central Italy, Part II by:Levi Reiss I Love Italian Travel - May Attractions Of Central Italy, Part I by:Levi Reiss I Love Italian Travel - May Attractions Of Northern Italy, Part I by:Levi Reiss I Love Touring Venice, Italy - Hotels In The Castello District by:Levi Reiss Different Areas of Manhattan by:Maria Alvarez The Tropical Magic of the Florida Keys by:Michiel Van Kets Walking Through Zambia by:Michael John Harvey Wedding Venues or Honeymoon Accomodations: The Best Hotel Chains by:Kristie Lorette Goa Hotels For Goa Travelers by:Venus Vij The Secrets for Securing Cruise Bargains by:Peter Womersley Top 5 Orlando Attractions other than Disney by:Mark Whichard
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.137.217.163) / Processed in 0.005433 second(s), 8 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 10 , 3191, 954,