Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » I Love Italian Travel - May Attractions Of Central Italy, Part II by:Levi Reiss
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

I Love Italian Travel - May Attractions Of Central Italy, Part II by:Levi Reiss

So you are considering May holidays in Abruzzi or elsewhere in central Italy

. There are lots and lots of special spring events that simply aren't available in the good old summertime. Here are a few of them. Get rolling; May is almost upon us. We start our virtual tour in Abruzzi on the eastern Adriatic coast and then proceed south to Molise. There are so many things to see and do in central Italy in May that this is the second of three articles.

On the first Thursday in May the village of Cocullo, Abruzzi, home to about 300, hosts a Snake Handlers' Procession. A statue of the town's patron St. Dominic, covered with live serpents is carried through the town. Literally thousands of people follow this solemn procession through the village. In addition to the snakes, there is a band, fireworks, breakfast at the foot of the hill, and later on a banquet.

The Abruzzi city of Pratola Peligna with a population of about 8 thousand hosts The Festival of the Madonna della Libera in early May. This festival attracts thousands of people, on the weekends. The streets are festively lit and brass bands play all day long. Local food specialties include hot porchetta and warm roasted peanuts. Major highlights include welcoming those doughty pilgrims who have walked almost 30 miles (42 kilometers) from the small town of Gioia de Marsi and the procession of La Madonna's statue from the church through the town's historic streets. If you stay there until Saturday night you will enjoy the great fireworks display.

On May's final Sunday the small town of Rocca di Mezzo, population 1500, hosts a daffodil festival that attracts thousands of people who have come to greet the spring. Saturday night the wagons are festooned with thousands of daffodils. Sunday afternoon they parade through the town. Unlike so many other Abruzzi festivals this one is not rooted in time immemorial. It was started in 1947 by soldiers returning from World War II.I Love Italian Travel - May Attractions Of Central Italy, Part II by:Levi Reiss

In many Molise villages and towns the month of May starts with festivals that are dedicated to Santa Maria, San Filippo and San Giacomo. These festivals are often accompanied byspecial fireworks. The little city of Larino, whose population is approximately 7 thousand, hosts the Feste 'e San Pard (San Pardo Festival and Procession) near the end of the month. This procession includes over one hundred carts belonging to local families. Each and every cart is richly decorated with flowers and pulled by two white oxen. This parade begins at the historic town center, passes by the cathedral and cemetery, and terminates at a historic local church. Sociologists and gossipers can study the local pecking order by noting the carts' position in the parade.

About the author

Over the years Levi Reiss has authored or co-authored ten books on computers and the Internet but simply prefers drinking fine Italian or other wine, with the right foods. He teaches a variety of computer classes at an Ontario French-language community college. Visit his Italian travel website http://www.travelitalytravel.com which includes information on Italian wine and food.
I Love Italian Travel - May Attractions Of Central Italy, Part I by:Levi Reiss I Love Italian Travel - May Attractions Of Northern Italy, Part I by:Levi Reiss I Love Touring Venice, Italy - Hotels In The Castello District by:Levi Reiss Different Areas of Manhattan by:Maria Alvarez The Tropical Magic of the Florida Keys by:Michiel Van Kets Walking Through Zambia by:Michael John Harvey Wedding Venues or Honeymoon Accomodations: The Best Hotel Chains by:Kristie Lorette Goa Hotels For Goa Travelers by:Venus Vij The Secrets for Securing Cruise Bargains by:Peter Womersley Top 5 Orlando Attractions other than Disney by:Mark Whichard San Francisco's Hangtown Fry by:Maria Alvarez Something Cool About Detroit - Eastern Market by:Chris Wechner Getting the Most Out of Your Florida Vacation by:Michiel Van Kets
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.137.217.163) / Processed in 0.007505 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 12 , 3265, 954,