Insurances.net
insurances.net » Auto Insurance » How To Use The Spanish Verb 'gustar' Correctly
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

How To Use The Spanish Verb 'gustar' Correctly

In Spanish, there is no literal equivalent to the English verb 'to like'

, in fact the nearest in both meaning and, more importantly, in the way that it is used, is the verb 'gustar', which literally translated means 'to please'.

To emphasize this; if you were to say in English, 'I like my coffee strong', the Spanish equivalent, when translated, would be 'Strong coffee pleases me'.

The use of the verb 'gustar' is actually very simple compared to other Spanish verbs.

'Gustar' doesn't follow any of the traditional Spanish verb patterns, whether they are regular or irregular, and it is only ever used in the third person forms, irrespective of the tense.How To Use The Spanish Verb 'gustar' Correctly

The construction of a sentence using the verb 'gustar' is done so in the opposite way as it is done in English. I will explain in good old grammatical terms; the English subject becomes the indirect object and the English object becomes the subject.

Now to put that into English that everyone will understand!

If you look at the example 'I like my coffee strong' again you will see that 'I' is the subject of the sentence and 'coffee' is the object.

In Spanish you would say, 'Strong coffee pleases me', where 'coffee' becomes the subject and 'me' is now the indirect object.

As I have said, 'gustar' is only used in the third person and the reason for this is that it relates to what is liked rather than whom or what likes it.

If what is liked is singular or, if it is an action that is liked, you would use 'gusta'; and if what is liked is plural you would use 'gustan'.

The present tense singular and plural forms of 'gustar' look like this:

Me gusta - gustanI like or, I like it

Te gusta - gustanYou like or, you like it

Le gusta - gustanHe/She/You like (it)

Nos gustaWe like...or, we like it

Os gusta - gustanYou like...or, you like it

Les gusta - gustanThey/you like (it)

Here are some examples:

Me gusta el deporte I like sport

Nos gusta EspanaWe like Spain

A Juan le gusta cocinar.Juan likes cooking.

And in the plural:

Me gustan los deportesI like sports

Nos gustan las naranjasWe like oranges

Les gustan los perrosThey like the dogs.

Gustar isn't the only Spanish verb that is used in the this way, encantar 'to enchant or love', apetecer 'to fancy or crave for', quedar 'to stay or remain', faltar 'to be missing', parecer 'to seem', and doler 'to hurt,ache or mourn' are a few of the common verbs that are used in the same way.

by: Daniel Major
Home Selling Tips For Today's Tough Market Don't Waste Those Empty Toner Cartridges Selecting A Courier's Route When Shipping The Next Big Fad: Everyone's an Author Why I Can't Forget My Bf How To Move On My Ex Sleeps With Me But Won't Talk To Me First Time Home Buyers Stimulus - Don't Pass Up This Opportunity! He's Broken My Heart Again - How Long Does It Take Ex Won't Give Me Closure - How Long Does It Take When It's Time To Call The Professionals: Do Not Try These Home Repairs Yourself Your Brain Is Slowly Degenerating... Here's How To Stop It A Brief History Of Automobiles Find An Auto Repair Shop Before You Need One
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.145.23.123) / Processed in 0.013100 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 52 , 2909, 952,