Insurances.net
insurances.net » Dental Insurance » Walnut Creek dentist answers your frequently asked questions!
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Walnut Creek dentist answers your frequently asked questions!

Walnut Creek Dentist answers some of your most frequently asked questions:

Q: I have a terrible fear of going to the dentist yet I know I need to. What should I do?

A: If you fear going to the dentist, you are not alone. Between 9% and 15% of Americans state they avoid going to the dentist because of anxiety or fear. The first thing you should do is talk with your dentist. In fact, if your dentist doesn't take your fear seriously, find another dentist. The key to coping with dental anxiety is to discuss your fears with your dentist. Once your dentist knows what your fears are, he or she will be better able to work with you to determine the best ways to make you less anxious and more comfortable.

The good news is that today there are a number of strategies that can be used to help reduce fear, anxiety, and pain. These strategies include use of medications (to either numb the treatment area or sedatives or anesthesia to help you relax), use of lasers instead of the traditional drill for removing decay, application of a variety of mind/body pain and anxiety-reducing techniques (such as guided imagery, biofeedback, deep breathing, acupuncture, and other mental health therapies), and perhaps even visits to a dentophobia clinic or a support group.

Q: There are so many toothpastes to choose from; how do I know which one to use?

A: Here's some advice. First, when purchasing a toothpaste for you or your child, select one that contains fluoride. Fluoride-containing toothpastes have been shown to prevent cavities. However, one word of caution: check the manufacturer's label; some toothpastes are not recommended in children under age 6. This is because young children swallow toothpaste and swallowing too much fluoride can lead to tooth discoloration in permanent teeth.

It is also wise to select a product approved by the American Dental Association. The ADA's Seal of Acceptance means that the product has met ADA criteria for safety and effectiveness and that packaging and advertising claims are scientifically supported. Some manufacturers choose not to seek the ADA's Seal of Acceptance. Although these products may be safe and effective, these products' performance have not been evaluated or endorsed by the ADA.

Next, when considering other properties of toothpaste -- such as whitening toothpastes, tartar-control, gum care, desensitizing, etc. -- the best advice for selecting among these products may be to simply ask your dental hygienist or dentist what the greatest concerns are for your mouth at this time.

After consulting with your dentist or hygienist about your oral health's greatest needs, look for products within that category (for example, within the tartar control brands or within the desensitizing toothpaste brands) that have received the ADA Seal of Acceptance.

Finally, some degree of personal preference comes into play. Choose the toothpaste that tastes and feels best. Gel or paste, wintergreen or spearmint all work alike. If you find that certain ingredients are irritating to your teeth, cheeks or lips, or if your teeth have become more sensitive, or if your mouth is irritated after brushing, try changing toothpastes. If the problem continues, see your dentist.

Q: I can't afford regular dental care. Are there some resources available to me?

A: Yes. Thousands of dentists across the country offer their services at reduced fees through dental society-sponsored assistance programs. Since aid varies from one community to another, call your local dental society for information about where you can find the nearest assistance programs and low-cost care locations (such as public health clinics and dental school clinics).

Check your local phone book or the internet for your local dental society (for example, the Georgia Dental Society, Georgia Dental Association, or search by your county or region).

The American Dental Association's website provides links to state dental associations local societies, and state dental schools. Ask your dentist or call your local social service organization for assistance in locating these types of services in your community.

Q: I recently moved and need a new dentist. How can I find one?

A: Try these suggestions:

Ask family, friends, neighbors, or co-workers for their recommendations.

Ask your family doctor or local pharmacist.

If you're moving, your current dentist may be able to make a recommendation.

Call or write your local or state dental society. Your local and state dental societies also may be listed in the telephone directory under "dentists" or "associations." The ADA provides a list of local and state dental societies at their website.

Visit more than one dentist before selecting one you feel you can build a good long-term relationship with.

* And don't forget to check out the more detailed resource within the FREE dental guide we'll give you at our site!

P.S.: Was this article helpful or beneficial to you? Let us know by emailing us! Also, if you have someone you care about and you think this would be beneficial to them, "pass it on"! By the way, make sure you don't miss out on the FREE dentist buyer's guide you're now entitled to!
Cosmetic Dentistry: Importance and Cost Best portal to find proficient Dentists Dentists Using Twitter and Facebook to Reach New Patients Keep Your Child's Pearly Whites Healthy and Shiny Forever: Secrets to Healthy Teeth! How To Find A Cosmetic Dentist In Under 834 Years Are You Thinking About Having Teeth Whitening Done? Walnut Creek dentist shares how to pick a dentist for your child How to Take Care of your Teeth with Teeth Whitening Kits Why Are People Choosing Invisalign For Teeth Alignment? Top Treatment Methods in Cosmetic Dentistry How Do Invisible Braces Compare With Traditional Teeth Alignment Solutions? Understanding How An Invisalign Dentist Could Help You Smile Better Why is it important to go to the dentist
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.142.12.170) / Processed in 0.006791 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 46 , 5523, 964,