Insurances.net
insurances.net » Internet Insurance » Do You Need Or Want A Mentor?
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Do You Need Or Want A Mentor?

Do You Need Or Want A Mentor?

Have you noticed how trends develop, have their day and then fade away to be superseded by another

, which for a time will maintain pride of place?

As an analyst of traditional business and columnist, I took more than a passing interest in the Party Plan approach, the evolution of Multi Level Marketing (MLM) and the many traditional part time income opportunities which captured public attention.

Trends developed, had their day and quietly began to fade. The hotel meetings, the display cases, creating lists of friends and family, audiotape circulation, pamphlet circulation and leaflet drop.

There were many those developed a following by writing a book or perhaps had one 'ghost written' for them. I must concede to my discredit, that I have not always vigorously exposed some of the more dubious offerings I encountered, usually being satisfied with advising people to steer clear.

In recent times having begun to use the internet for information gathering; which still seems the lazy way to get things done; I have taken a keen interest in some internet opportunities. As you may appreciate there is a lot of dross around, half baked ideas and program which cannot possibly work for the majority.

There are however some excellent offerings which can enhance lives based on the dissemination of well constructed information products. Yet it is suggested, that less than 5% of those who are looking for an income boosting opportunity, are likely to identify a program that will significantly enhance their lives.

Relatively few grasshopper insects survive to reproduce, yet the species continues. The human "grasshopper" who goes from program to program is equally in need of some guidance, as they also tend to fade away submerged under the depressing futility of their efforts.

A few internet gurus who have made all the money they need are becoming more 'public spirited' and beginning to develop enterprises which recognize the limitations of many extra income seekers. A small but growing number are making real effort to incorporate tried and tested marketing tools into their promotions.

This is commendable, but it is important to acknowledge that most seek some flexibility and choice, whether in a traditional business setting, professional field, or the emerging internet business arena. Many can benefit from a guiding hand.

Many of the greats in history had a mentor, benefactor or leader they could follow and try to emulate. In principle therefore, it may be considered advantageous to have someone to help you avoid the pitfalls and command strategies and solutions which are already tried and tested. Anything which helps avoid mistakes and speed progress must surely be desirable?

A mentor who is there to direct you can be a major asset, available to guide when you need and want advice. What you do not need, is an intrusive presence seeking to control your life, the tasks you undertake, the deadlines you set yourself, the hours you work. In short you don't want a boss in a different guise, who is pushing and driving you because they are positioned to benefit from your efforts.

However, what I particularly wanted to draw to your attention is this new breed of "mentor" who is emerging and in danger of bringing this potentially valuable aspect of business and career development into disrepute.

Many contacts you will receive are by telephone, if you have chosen to divulge yours. I have recently been contacted by email with an offer of help. The following was my brief reply. "Thank you for your email which I am pleased to note is to be your last. I must live with my deprivation and will not be taking up your offer of a 30 minute consultation".

In the course of my work as commentator on traditional business I periodically investigate online offers. Over the past three months I have been approached on behalf of three separate enterprises extending offers of help. They had clearly all gone to the same 'school' and trained in the same misguided methods. The conversation which I steeled myself to endure was enlightening.

I was asked to share various personal and times financially sensitive information. Some questions were intrusive and offensive. Having made it abundantly clear I did not propose to take up the offer, I felt it was my duty to mislead these or their modern day "internet " equivalents of 'foot in the door' salesmen.

Be aware of such offers. This is not what being mentored should be like. Traditionally individuals seek the support of their chosen mentor. Now there are people apparently operating on a commission basis, they are so anxious to get 'signups' they are unable, it would seem, to integrate the idea that their unsolicited offer is unwelcome.

I hope this particular trend soon passes and it is once again possible to divulge a telephone number as contact information. I see that as progress. Perhaps I should be grateful that distance prevents me receiving visitors!

If you can find someone genuinely committed to helping you, someone who isn't after your money, someone who understands your motivation, your issues, your needs, you have a rare and valuable ally. There are people who derive enormous satisfaction from helping others. So to ease your mind and speed your progress, keep looking. You will know when you find what you want as it will feel right for you.

by: John McBride
Compare Hosting Plans After Reading About Web Hosting Reviews How To Get Your Articles To The Top Of Most Search Engines Seo Content Distribution Linking For Newbies The #1 Way To Get 10-20 New Prospects Or Referral Sources (clients Too!) Fast! Internet Marketing Foundation If The Failure Rate For Home Businesses And Home Online Business Is So High, Why Start One? Internet Marketing - Build Your Relationships Online Internet Marketing And Social Networking Revealed Internet Marketing And The Killer Instinct Internet Marketing - The Resource Box That Sells Sharkeymedia: Web Design Online Stores Made For You Get Updated with Online Slots Promotions
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.129.211.6) Michigan / Detroit Processed in 0.005945 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 36 , 5590, 973,
Do You Need Or Want A Mentor? Detroit