Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » A Volcanic Birthday, Beach Getaway, No Way!
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

A Volcanic Birthday, Beach Getaway, No Way!

In case you were wondering, Tanzania is a really long way from New York

. But not long enough to stop my mother from making the journey!

My name is Lori Cohen, and I know that in my mother's 64 years, she has taken plenty of spur-of-the-moment trips to worldly locations. But for her 65th birthday, being the adventurous spirit she is, she decided she wanted to really challenge herself and climb Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa!

Believe me, my sister and I tried to talk her out of it. We suggested a whole bunch of other options, from a Greek Isle cruise to a Hawaiian beach getaway. Nope, not my mother, she wasn't having it. Her mind was set. She wanted to conquer the volcano. And we were going with her

Tusker to the RescueA Volcanic Birthday, Beach Getaway, No Way!

I figured if we were going to take this exotic journey, we better do some research and find the best outfitter to help us make our monumental transition from New York to Kilimanjaro as smooth as possible

Tusker Trail to the rescue, us girls had a flight and adventure package to Kilimanjaro booked in no time! Reading about Tusker's experience, knowledge, and safety standards in regards to mountaineering, I knew I was putting my mother and sister in good hands. (www.tusker.com)

Mountain Magic

And the adventure began. Before the culture shock of being in Tanzania could even fully buzz us, we were climbing through the rich and textured vegetation zones of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Was it difficult? Hell yeah! But not in the ways we imagined before we had left. The oxygen levels as you ascend become thinner and thinner. Your lungs become your worst enemy, and you are forced to slow down. Our group consisted of six people, and the three strangers climbing with us quickly became our friends. We all relied on each other for support.

As difficult as it was at times, each moment we spent on the mountain was magical. The scenery was magnificent, from the rain forest to the summit. And spending quality time with my mom and sis was the best part. No spouses, kids, work, email just us girls relying on each other for support while reaching for the sky. It doesn't get better than that.

The day we reached the summit, we climbed pole-pole (Swahili for very slowly) straight up for about eight hours. Exhausted upon arrival, we still found it in us to celebrate my mom's birthday Kilimanjaro-style!

The First Beer

Hindsight is 20/20, and while we were venturing up Kilimanjaro, we didn't spend a lot of time patting ourselves on the back for each step we took.

The sense of accomplishment didn't really sink in until we had arrived back at the hotel, had a chance to eat, rest, and get cleaned up. That night, sitting around a table with my mom and sister, we were really able to wrap our brains around the fact that we had followed a dream my mother had, traveled from New York to Africa, and completed a grueling, yet unbelievably beautiful climb up one of the most famous mountains in the world - Mt. Kilimanjaro.

And the realization made that first Tanzanian beer I drank taste better than any beer I've had before or since.

It's All in the Genes

Unlike some others who have tried, my mother, my sister, and I were fortunate enough to reach the summit! Having completed the climb with them, I finally realized where my sister and I got our strength and determination from: my mother.

It's all in the genes!A Volcanic Birthday, Beach Getaway, No Way!

Click to read more about your next Volcanic Birthday

Story Submitted by Tusker Trail climber, Lori Cohen

Tusker Trail & Safari Co., All Rights Reserved

by: Marketing Department
Create Your Halloween Costume Greater Trick Than Treat Beach Holidays In Ganpatipule,maharashtra,india Macau International Musical Festival - Vibrations Of The World Kerala Tours Refreshing Holidaying Opportunity Summer Tomato Care Trip Plannert Residents Of Washington Terrace Very Much Aware Of Groundwater Problem Traveling In Pregnancy Satellite Direct Australia Some Denver Waterways Too Contaminated For Safe Summer Play Only The Nose Knows! - Rhinoplasty In Miami & Miami Beach! For Your Fantastic Australian Holiday, Stay At A Melbourne Hotel Why Backpacker Insurance Is Necessary For All Travellers
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.145.154.185) / Processed in 0.005969 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 42 , 3832, 954,