Insurances.net
insurances.net » Finance » Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Review: Indiana Jones Has Arrived
Finance Investing Loans Personal-Finance Taxes Loan quotes
]

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Review: Indiana Jones Has Arrived

Quick Summary:

Pros:

* Wicked awesome gameplay.

* Graphics are top notch for launch title on PS3

* Control scheme is intuitive and very fun

* Delightful score and sound effects

* Immersive Story - Indiana Jones type of movie-to-game

Cons:

* Some loading issues and random freezes, based on my gameplay.

* Sixaxis Motion used as a gimmick within certain areas, mainly traversing logs or beams

About Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Platform: PS3

Genre: Action-adventure

ESRB Rating: T for TEEN

Release date: (NA) November 19, 2007

Developer: Naughty Dog

Story: 9 / 10

You take the role of Nathan Drake, as he is on a search of a long lost ancestor's hidden treasure. Sir Francis Drake had hid a treasure so great, that many have died in search of this gem that should make them millionaires, the infamous "El Dorado," and Nathan is after it. He enlists the help of his compadre, Sully, and cons a journalist, Elena Fisher, to further his expedition. Unbeknownst to him, he isn't the only one looking for this treasure.

So the hunt begins. Who shall find the treasure first? And will our friends survive? Who knows, but basically think of any Indiana Jones movie and this is what that game involves to every degree. This is a very, very nicely done story and script by Naughty Dog. Yes, it is a bit of everything that has been done before, but it is done well by Naughty Dog.

You know what they say, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Gameplay: 9 / 10

Here is where the meat of the game is at and let me tell you, they don't disappoint. Now Naughty Dog is known for its platform games like Jak & Daxter. They, however, up the ante with a more adult title that has plenty of platforming and plenty of shooting to mix things up a bit for the mature audiences.

If you're looking for a challenge in the AI, then you're sadly out of luck with this game. The enemies' just walk up to you and willingly take the bullets. Plus, there seems to be endless supply of goons coming at you no matter how many bullets they take. Granted this may sound bad, but it is quite fun, because it also gives you practice with the guns and just makes me laugh at how similar this is to Indiana Jone's movies.

View article images here

All of this endless gun fighting and platforming may seem repetitive, but the fun factor is so tightly woven that you never feel bored at any given moment, because the story is very well integrated in the gameplay. Not to mention that they give you a section, where you ride some vehicles to give you some diversity to the game.

Naughty Dog added nice touches to the gameplay from platforming, shooting, and riding vehicles. In my eyes, however, the control scheme seemed a bit strange, since not all the buttons were effectively used on the PS3 controller. Some buttons weren't assigned anything, but that is forgivable and all right for me. At least, for now.

Graphics: 9 / 10

By far, I will get the most flack for this and I know it. And I will say this before I start. The graphics look great on the PS3 and I'm glad I got a monitor that could output at least 720p. Even in Standard Definition, this game looks great.

I will note this though, the textures would pop in whenever a level loaded, which is minor, but a weird occurrence that played tricks with my eyes after a bit. This may seem insignificant to some, but I thought at least I'd mention it since my score isn't a perfect 10.

Another point I'd like to mention: I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about the graphics seems very rushed and bunched together. It almost seems like the same style of graphics are reused on top of one another. In other words, what I'm trying to say is that I feel that it looks great, but feels that the graphics have been cheapened a bit somehow. That's the only reason for this score and possibly the only reason I'll get some feedback from many.

Even with all that said, I still think the graphics were top notch when the game came out for the PS3 at the time. Just my two cents.

Sound: 10 / 10

Short and brief. All I have to say is that all the sound effects, splashes, gun shots, grunts, and even dialogue are executed to a fine degree of expertise. The musical score also makes this adventure very memorable. No complaints here.

Challenge/Replay Value: 7 / 10

Uncharted will probably only hold a replay value, if you enjoy playing this game over and over again for the sheer joy of it. With a PS3 update to the game, however, you get trophies and this does extend the life of the game. Beyond the trophies though, there isn't much to do. AT most, you could get 20 hours in this game, which is great. Especially if you are a trophy hunter, this game is very easy to achieve that. Beyond that, there isn't much else to the game, as it is only a single player experience.

Final Note:

If you enjoy action flicks (especially Indiana Jones) or asked yourself what it would be like to play a game based on some aspects of Indiana Jones' type movies, then I say pick this up and have some fun. I've played this game three times and never thought I wanted to play a game so bad, but Uncharted had me hooked.

It is part of the Greatest Hits lineup, and even cheaper used. You don't need to play this to enjoy Uncharted 2 though, since both games have separate stories that simply centers around the adventures of Nathan Drake.

Definitely a Rental, if not a Keeper, in your PS3 library!

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Review: Indiana Jones Has Arrived

By: gamepodunk
inFAMOUS Review - Shockingly imPRESSIVE Twin Strollers And Which To Buy Some Unique Safety Features Of A Stroller Review: SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation -- This SEALs Gone AWOL Rice Cooker - Get The Right One! An Objective Review Of "The Secret" Saving money for people who buy used breakers Virtual DJ 6.1 - review Book Budget Hotels In Rishikesh Dish Tv For Pc Review NYC apartments and your budget Sell Dvds Chicago And Make Some Extra Money Guns and money worldwide
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.119.167.196) Wyoming / Casper Processed in 0.015224 second(s), 7 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 80 , 6193, 385,
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Review: Indiana Jones Has Arrived Casper