Insurances.net
insurances.net » Taxes » Income Tax Mistakes to Avoid
Finance Investing Loans Personal-Finance Taxes Loan quotes
]

Income Tax Mistakes to Avoid

I try to make sure my clients are getting all of their tax forms filled out properly, as a bankruptcy lawyer I feel that is a responsibility of mine. You probably know what to expect if you're filing your tax return after bankruptcy (and even if you're not expecting a refund).You want to make sure you avoid these common mistakes regarding your income taxes, these are according to the IRS.1. Claiming the wrong filing status. Many different tax benefits are determined based on your filing status. Be sure you're using your marital status as of December 31. You could become ineligible for earned-income credit, child tax credit, and exemptions for dependents if you accidentally claim the wrong status.2. Writing down the incorrect Social Security numbers. Make sure you double-check your Social Security number, and make sure you use the right Social Security numbers for all of your dependents. The IRS' computer may not recognize that you switched your son's SSN for your daughter's, and that could cause you to lose your exemptions, credits or deductions.3. Forgetting to sign and date your return. You haven't filed your tax return if you haven't signed it. If you're filing jointly, BOTH spouses need to sign and date. This is one of the most reoccurring mistakes seen by the IRS.4. Claiming ineligible dependents, you want to make sure they qualify. You could lose your exemptions if they don't have Social Security numbers.5. Failing to report domestic workers. This is illegal, and even though some individuals do this to avoid paying taxes on their workers, it is something you want to avoid.6. Leaving out a portion of your income. Even if you don't receive a W-2 from your employer, or you worked as a 1099, these are all amounts that need to be reported.Make sure you aren't making these common errors, be sure to double check your math and all of the information on your form. Through penalties and fines you risk more than if you just double check your forms. If you have any questions, you should always consult either the IRS's website or a qualified tax preparer. If you are a client of ours and need documents for your tax return, please call our client line at 314-436-3300, or email questions@castlelaw.net.
Pharmacy Transactions and Capital Gains Tax in Nevada The importance of year-round tax planning Watch for Tax Preparer Fraud Appeals in Income Tax in India August 2008 Tax Update College Scholarship Options for Tax Week Heavy use tax forms Why does ‘Middle England' get hit hardest by taxes? Custom NFL Jerseys-Customized and Personalized Apparel Goods Wash Sale Rule - What You Should Know Before Taxes Come Learn more about filling your income tax return The know how of the Tax calculators How to Fill Out Heavy Use Tax Form 2290
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.138.181.145) / Processed in 0.010037 second(s), 5 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 2 , 2343, 184,