Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » Can You Stand an Egg on Edge During the Spring Equinox?
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Can You Stand an Egg on Edge During the Spring Equinox?

Can You Stand an Egg on Edge During the Spring Equinox

?

Iheard this legend several years ago and couldn't wait to try it out. Hurrying home from work on the 21st of March, I couldn't wait to stand an egg on end. (I was leading a rather boring life at the time.) An idle mind is a terrible thing.

Rushing to the refrigerator, I only had a few minutes until the exact minute when the sun would pass over the equator on it's way north.

Finding a perfect egg, I hurriedly placed it on my end table, after several tries,and just as the spring equinox began the egg balanced itself on it's end, it worked. Amazed, I watched it for several minutes before resuming my action filled life.Can You Stand an Egg on Edge During the Spring Equinox?

Some people think the egg can only stand on end because of some gravitational force from the sun being aligned with the earth as the it passes over the equator. The moon, however,exerts more influence and gravitational pull than the sun. The moon dominates the ebb and flow of our ocean's tides, and it's gravitational pull is different at the equinoxes. If any celestial body would be able to exert enough influence to cause an egg to stand on end it would be the moon.

Only years later would I be crushed when I found out the truth about the EGG. (no yoke intended.)

Who was the first person to do this and why?

This amazing legend originated with the Chinese. According to Chinese legend standing an egg on end can only occur when spring begins. The only problem with this is that the Chinese calendar had this transition occurring at various times each year. Being determined in part by the Chinese lunar month which was normally in February,their first day of spring didn't occur during the actual equinox.

This myth pops up regular as rain every spring. I myself believed it for many years. The truth is, with a large amount of patience,you can stand an egg on end any day of the year.

The most dominant force of gravity is the one between the earth and the egg itself, the sun or moon have no effect on the egg whatsoever. To prove it to yourself, take a large uncooked egg from the refrigerator and hold it resting the end on a counter top or table, let the fluid content settle and gently find the balance point of the egg. It takes some practice and a steady hand but it can be accomplished. Once the egg is balanced and undisturbed, it is not uncommon for the egg to remain in this position for days.

Try this at different times of the year, just to confirm to yourself that the moon or sun have no effect on the end result. There are many things in our life that the sun and moon affect, balancing eggs on end just isn't one of them.

Gary has traveled to many parts of the world, see more articles and photos at:

http://www.travelnsnap.com

Gary has developed a line of novelty gifts featuring some of his photos taken around the world.

http://www.tshirtsbumperstickers.com
The Five Best Caravan Parks in Cornwall for Caravan Holidays Add luxury to your travel with Lufthansa Doe Testing in Ireland and how is it carried out How to: Treat Customers as a SOURCE, not Destination Travel Luxuriously with Malaysian Flights ABO Sun Shelter - Not Just For the Beach The National Forest – the UK's latest rural holiday destination Caring For Employees Exposed to the Traumatic Events on the 7th July 2005 in London What Type Of Craft Can You Do For The 4th Of July Holiday To Make It More Special? Thai Airways: Easing International Traveling Guide In Conducting A Research At Washington Police Records Holiday to Route 66 Post Free classified ads for Australia
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.136.233.222) / Processed in 0.013389 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 28 , 3039, 954,