Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » Acai Berries, Other Bogus Diet Products and the Insecurities of Children
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Acai Berries, Other Bogus Diet Products and the Insecurities of Children

I suppose that I shouldn't have been surprised, but i still was, by this question that I recently came across on the Yahoo Answers website, posted by someone who said they were a girl in the seventh grade:

"Is the colon cleanse and acai berry diet safe for Tweens and can you get it at a store instead of online?"

In case you're not familiar, Yahoo Answers is a service where just about anyone can post a question on just about any topic, seeking advice or information, and numerous people can chime in with an answer.Acai Berries, Other Bogus Diet Products and the Insecurities of Children

It so happens that I've recently been researching the health craze surrounding acai berry products and the spectacular myths that marketers of such products have spread. Claims that they have helped people lose weight at nearly miraculous speeds are ubiquitous on the Internet, as are claims that acai berries can help prevent cancer and achieve just about any other health benefit you can imagine.

The scientific research into acai berries, however, has yielded little if any evidence that they have any health benefits that are much greater than other more common kinds of berries and other fruits that you can buy at the supermarket. So acai berry juices and supplements are essentially just berry juice and supplements sold at spectacularly inflated prices by people who are marketing them as magic potions.

But the myths have been sold so aggressively online that they are believed by many adults. So I suppose that it shouldn't have surprised me that they've also infected children.

The girl posting in Yahoo Answers went on to write that she wanted to lose a few pounds to look good for a wedding that she was going to be in.She received several answers, including one from someone who wrote like an adult, saying that acai berries would probably be safe because they were "herbally based."

My research quickly turned up warnings from groups including The Nemours Foundation against dieting at all by children, who face health risks if they don't get as many calories or nutrients as they need while their bodies are still developing.

And for what it's worth, I also found research debunking the supposed benefits of colon cleansing for weight loss. Webmd's article on the subject explained that the body absorbs most calories from food before it reaches the large intestine. So cleansing your colon does little or nothing to reduce your caloric intake.

The unethical marketing and false claims made about fad health products like acai berry supplements and colon cleansers must send a very confusing message to children who are insecure about their weight. But kids, more than anyone, shouldn't be given these products. Instead, they should be encouraged to eat a regular, healthy diet and to exercise regularly.
Teach Your Baby Math - What Does A Sponge Have To Do With Children! Why Teens and Young Adults Should Think About Credit Your Child's Hearing Eliminate Fire Ants And Keep Children Safe From Painful Stings TEEN COUNTRY SINGER ‘Anna Craig' to release debut 5 track EP Bed Rest and Respite Due to Pregnancy and Childbirth Child Anxiety Treatment - Tips For Concerned Parents Let your kid enjoy the world of moshi monsters Scene Hairstyles for Scene Kids and Teens Do You Have a Child With Anxiety? 3 Tips to Ease Their Pain Fun Activities For Kids - Craft Activities Throughout The Year Showcase Your Child's Talents - Americas Next Child Model Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, A Condition That affects Infants After Birth That Is Characterized By Some Abnormalities In The Child That Are Irreversible
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.135.194.15) / Processed in 0.011744 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 20 , 2964, 956,