Insurances.net
insurances.net » Finance » A Review of "My Nigeria: Five Decades of Independence"
Finance Investing Loans Personal-Finance Taxes Loan quotes
]

A Review of "My Nigeria: Five Decades of Independence"

The author of the book My Nigeria: Five Decades of Independence is a Nigerian based veteran journalist

. The name of the author is Peter Cunlife. He is a veteran Nigerian Journalist who follows the footpath of his Nigeria fore fathers. Not on this, he also followed the footsteps of the Nigerian Colonizers and administrators.

His nineteenth-century cousin, paddled ashore by slaves, twisted the arms of tribal chiefs to sign away their territorial rights in the oil-rich Niger Delta. Sixty years later, his grandfather helped craft Nigeria's constitution and negotiate its independence, the first of its kind in Africa. Four decades later, Peter Cunliffe-Jones arrived as a journalist in the capital, Lagos, just as military rule ended, to face the country his family had a hand in shaping.

Part family memoir, part history, My Nigeria is a piercing look at the colonial legacy of an emerging power in Africa. Marshalling his deep knowledge of the nation's economic, political, and historic forces, Cunliffe-Jones surveys its colonial past and explains why British rule led to collapse at independence. He also takes an unflinching look at the complicated country today, from email hoaxes and political corruption to the vast natural resources that make it one of the most powerful African nations; from life in Lagos's virtually unknown and exclusive neighborhoods to the violent conflicts between the numerous tribes that make up this populous African nation. As Nigeria celebrates five decades of independence, this is a timely and personal look at a captivating country that has yet to achieve its great potential.

The book is a must read for people who want to really understand Nigeria, the Africa's most dynamic country. Perhap it might interest you to see what Robert Caldersisis has to say about the book. - "Nigeria is a big subject, but Cunliffe cuts it down to size. Enriched by his own experience andhis family's own role in Nigeria, this vivid book about Nigeria is more than a history. It is like stumbling upon a time capsule."--Robert Calderisi, author of The Trouble with Africa: Why Foreign Aid Isn't Working

"A readable history of Nigeria, a personal memoire and a family history all in one book. Peter Cunliffe- has created a warm and informative introduction to this enormous, active and attractive country and its damaged past. Intriguing and sometimes shocking it explains why Nigeria today is the frustrated giant of Africa."--Richard Dowden, author of Africa: Altered States, Ordinary Miracles

"This is an excellent, readablebook both for those who think they know Nigeria and those who are just curious about the country."-- Father Matthew Kukah, Leading Nigerian commentator

A Review of "My Nigeria: Five Decades of Independence"

By: Victor Ezeaku
Survive In Place Review Money till Payday - Financial Aid as an Option of Salary Premature Ejaculation (PE) Pills – DuraMale Review Make More Money: How Day Trading Can Make You Ten Times Your Salary! HR Contractors Add Space to Tight Budgets What You Should Know About eXfuze Before Joining-See This 3rd Party eXfuze Review How To Get FREE Money? Here Is How To Get FREE MONEY! - YOU Can Get FREE Money! Star 2 Pros Review The Supermind Evolution System Review Treat Sciatica Now Review Vertical Jump Guide Review Pass On Your Words Of Wisdom When It Comes to Financial Practices! Pc Tattletale Reviews
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.216.34.146) Baden-Wurttemberg / Pforzheim Processed in 0.012237 second(s), 5 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 14 , 2888, 385,
A Review of "My Nigeria: Five Decades of Independence" Pforzheim