Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » Is LASIK Vision Correction Right For Kids?
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Is LASIK Vision Correction Right For Kids?

It's normal for parents to be concerned about their children's health and well-being

. But Tammy Crane, mother of 21-year-old Garrett, took a more active route-something she could do for her son that would have both of them worrying less. She had Garrett get rid of his contacts by having LASIK.

"Garrett's broken his glasses several times and, of course, he always wants the latest designer glasses. He would go through contacts like water," says Tammy.

Ophthalmologists are seeing growing numbers of parents encouraging their young adult children to have LASIK. One reason is the monetary savings. Contacts cost up to $600 annually, and glasses can run upwards of $1,200 a pair. Considering that male eyes stop "growing" at age 21 and female eyes at age 18, young adults having LASIK in their early 20s will recoup their costs well before they hit their 30s. Additionally, the procedure can last for up to 30 years, making the cost savings of LASIK as compared to contacts and glasses significant-well into the thousands.

Tammy was so pleased with the results of her own LASIK procedure that she knew she wanted the same for her son. "I had LASIK four years ago and knew what a blessing it was," she says. "I knew if Garrett had it now, he could get even more years of enjoyment out of it. I also knew he didn't take proper care of his contacts and with the recent breakout of fungal infections, I was worried."

Among the other LASIK benefits parents find appealing is that they no longer worry about the risks associated with their children's poor contact lens hygiene.

"Garrett told me of different times when he had stored his contacts in glasses of water. And the outside of his case was disgusting. He never changed the solution," Tammy says. "In fact, he had a few minor infections over the years due to his poor contacts care."

For Tammy and Garrett, they insisted on the most advanced technology available-LASIK with the IntraLase Method. Dr. Daniel Durrie, who did Garrett's procedure, commented, "Patients who have this advanced LASIK method generally achieve vision better than 20/20. Additionally, LASIK with the IntraLase Method is blade-free, meaning patients avoid the most serious and sight-threatening complications associated with the traditional metal blade." The safety advantage of the IntraLase Method has given parents such as Tammy the confidence to allow their children to have LASIK.

Today, Garrett enjoys a contacts-free lifestyle that includes his favorite hobbies, such as canoeing and jet skiing. "It's awesome," he says. "I opened my eyes underwater and could see. It was pretty cool."

Parents worried about infections and costs urge kids to have LASIK with the IntraLase method.

By: JC Schwartz
Connecting With Your Kids Is An Essential Element Of Parenting Scheduling A Complaint Time For Your Kids Child of Eden will be multiplatforms Teach Your Child To Cross The Street Safely Is There Any Way To Avoid A Third Degree Tear During Childbirth? Rashes in Children Keeping Your Children Safe From Heater Harm Youth Golf Sets: Help Your Kids Develop Their Skills The Best Selling Brain Toys Don't Allow Your Children Fat Children's Wear – Building Their Self-Esteem on a Budget Children's Wear Buying Tips Children's Wear Shopping on a Budget
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.227.239.9) Maryland / Rockville Processed in 0.011769 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 20 , 2905, 956,
Is LASIK Vision Correction Right For Kids? Rockville