10 Tips For Picking The Perfect Prom Jewelry by:Christopher Smith
A prom dress without the proper adornments is like a Christmas tree with no ornaments: no matter how beautiful it is, it seems somehow naked. If you've ever watched celebrities walk down the red carpet you know that they realize the importance of accessories in order to "complete the package". Tasteful and properly coordinated accessories can really bring an outfit together while ill matched pieces will often ruin the entire outfit.
It is often difficult to decide which accessories are perfect for prom since most of us do not have the luxury of celebrity stylists to offer advice and recommendations. Keeping the following suggestions in mind as you search for the perfect compliments to your prom outfit should help you avoid any glaringly horrid accessory mistakes. The number one, time-honored piece of advice for accessorizing and proms is this: less is more. It is better to err on the side of caution than to add too many accessories and become an eyesore.
When it comes to jewelry, it helps if you select jewelry that not only goes with the overall theme you are hoping to achieve with your dress and hairstyle, but also something that you would wear after the prom as well. You do not have to choose jewelry that matches your dress, it is more important to choose pieces that compliment your entire ensemble. Pearls are always a wise selection as they are elegant and beautiful while rarely being garish. They are also friendly to budgets that may be stretched a bit thin from the purchase of a prom dress.
Your hairstyle should be considered when selecting your jewelry also. If you are going for an updo, there are many wonderful jewelry options available. For these hairstyles, studs work wonderfully and allow for bolder choices in necklaces while drop earrings also look great with this hairstyle and call for keeping other jewelry a little simpler. The same goes with hair ornaments.
If you have long hair that you are wearing down, you will need earrings that are bold and make a statement. Hoops and chandelier style earrings work really well in this particular situation. Be sure you don't overdo the accessorizing thing by pairing these bold earrings with bold necklaces and bracelets; you only need one piece of 'loud' jewelry.
There are many different types of prom dresses and the dress you will be wearing should have an impact on the jewelry you wear along with it. Below are some general guidelines that should help you make wiser jewelry decisions for your special night.
1) Spaghetti straps: If you are looking for one stand out piece of jewelry to wear with this type of dress, consider a wide cuff bracelet for that special piece. You can pair it easily with stud earrings or earrings that dangle but aren't over stated. Be sure that your date won't be brining a wrist corsage however as this will kill the statement that the bracelet makes.
2) Strapless: This particular dress is striking gold for the jewelry lover as you can choose a necklace that really makes a statement. Be sure to wear a necklace that is short with this particular type of dress rather than one that will meet the fabric. If you choose a simple necklace you are free to add bold earrings or a bracelet in order to add that little bit of zing!
3) Short sleeved dress: It is an excellent idea to bring attention to your arms by using stackable bracelets with this type of dress. Choose a simple necklace or even go without and let your bracelets make your statement for you. If you aren't into bangles, try for a wide cuffed bracelet instead.
4) High-necked: With this type of dress, a necklace will only serve to compete with the neckline, skip it. Instead, choose an elegant bracelet and matching earrings, gemstones work best.
5) Square-necked: This dress is an excellent choice to show off a beautiful necklace. Keep that fact in mind when choosing your jewelry. You'll want a necklace that you can show off and understated earrings and other accessories.
6) V-necked: using a matching necklace and earring set will work wonderfully with this neckline and compliment your look nicely.
7) Plunging: For this dramatic look try pinning an antique broach at the bottom of the plunge or wearing a pearl choker from dramatic flair. Diamond collars and simple ribbons also look great with this dress; you absolutely do not want a long necklace that will take away from the drama of the plunge.
8) Simple: A simple prom dress is like a blank canvas, it is completely up to you to make your statement. Use your imagination and have fun decorating yourself.
9) Ornate: It is very difficult to find complimentary jewelry for an ornate dress. The problem is that most jewelry will only serve to distract from the beauty of the dress. Perhaps the best jewelry in this situation is a bold cocktail ring.
10) Vintage: Bring it to the future with modern bangles or necklaces that are neatly layered. Simple jewelry also works wonderfully with this type of dress.
The important thing to remember is that moderation is almost always the best choice when selecting jewelry to accentuate a dress. You do not want your jewelry competing with either the dress or other pieces of jewelry. The most important thing is to have fun. Prom is a special night, but only the first of many more to follow.
About the author
Going To The Prom? Find out everything you need to know to make this the most special day of your life! - http://www.goingtotheprom.com.