Insurances.net
insurances.net » Taxes » What Are Uk Tax Codes And What Do They Mean?
Finance Investing Loans Personal-Finance Taxes Loan quotes
]

What Are Uk Tax Codes And What Do They Mean?

Hi, my names Alex and I work for Danbro - Contractor Accountants as part of the marketing team

. In this article I will be discussing what and why tax codes are used, giving some examples of ones commonly issued to contractors and what they signify.

Your tax code is issued by HMRC so that the right amount of tax (PAYE) is deducted from your wage when you are paid. A tax code is usually made up of letters and numbers. The numbers are used to work out how much income should be taxed. The letter is used to determine how the income is taxed. See common tax codes below:

What do tax codes numbers mean?

You can work this out by multiplying the tax code number by 10 and adding 9. This then signifies your tax allowance

Tax Allowance = Number X 10 + 9

What do tax code letters mean?

LBasic allowance.

P,V and YFor those aged over 65. Higher personal allowance.

TRequiring review by your tax inspector.

DOAll income subject to higher rate of tax.

NTIndicates that no tax is to be deducted on your income.

BRThis means all your income is going to be subject to basic rate tax. Commonly 20%. This is usually issued to people who start a new job or who havent got a P45 and not completed a P46 before their first payment.

KThe amount of allowances is less than total deductions.

OTNo personal allowance and all income subject to higher and basic rates of tax.

What tax codes mean for contractors?

The BR tax code is commonly used for contractors when they set up a limited company, subjecting all their income to the basic rate of tax. This rate is usually 20%. To avoid been given a BR tax code, I would advise to make sure a P45 is obtained and submitted to your new Umbrella Company, so the correct tax code is given or alternatively apply for your P46 in advance.

Umbrella Company Calculator

For further details, please contact Danbro on: 01253 600141,

General Enquiries: 01253 600140,

London Office: 020 7836 8400 or

E-Mail: enquiries@danbro.co.uk

by: Alex Askew
Characteristics All Taxes Should Have Look For Cheap Texan Tickets and Don't Miss The NFL Fun IRS Back Taxes Penalties- Learn How to Limit Extra Charges Payment Options for Those with IRS Back Taxes Benefits of Using an Enrolled Agent to Help With IRS Back Taxes IRS Tax Deductions and Their Availability IRS Statute of Limitations: Do Taxes Ever Expire? IRS Tax Levy – Was Your Property Seized by the IRS? There's Still a Chance to Get it Back! Powerful Tax Secrets Of The Wealthy Impressive Tax Secrets Of The Wealthy The Ultimate Tax Secrets Of The Wealthy Save Money With Tax Secrets Of The Wealthy Common and different in income taxes internationally
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.116.19.17) Oregon / Beaverton Processed in 0.007081 second(s), 5 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 42 , 2292, 184,
What Are Uk Tax Codes And What Do They Mean? Beaverton