Insurances.net
insurances.net » Buying Insurance » The permeable paywall returns March 28 for the most voracious readers
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

The permeable paywall returns March 28 for the most voracious readers

Fourteen months afterannouncing that it was going to begin charging for heavy use of its Web site, the New York Times hasrevealed the details and the deadline. Starting March 28, the newspaperwill institute a $15 monthly plan for access via the Web and a phone app, a $20 plan for the Web and the iPad app, and $35 for an all-access option. Subscribers to the print edition -- which costs about $63 a month (after an initial 50 percent-off deal), at least here in the Bay Area -- will get everything for no extra charge.

(Canadians are subject to the new plan immediately -- they're serving as beta testers for us Yanks. Thanks, Canadians!)

Other than the fact that theTimes is attaching a price to its online content, the most important fact about its strategy is that this paywall only goes into effect for fairly voracious readers. You can read 20 articles a month at no charge. People who come to the site via Google will be able to read five stories a day for free; visitors from Facebook and Twitter won't have to pay. Clearly, the goal is to extract some money out of people who treat the digital incarnations of the Times pretty much like a newspaper, without killing traffic from more casual types who come only occasionally or are directed to specific stories by their friends.The permeable paywall returns March 28 for the most voracious readers

Looking around the Web, I can't find anyone giving the Times' new strategy a thumbs up. I do find plenty of people saying theywon't pay and criticizing the permeable paywall for beingtoo complicatedand predicting it willfail. I'm willing to give it a chance, at least -- unlikefailed paywalls of the past, it's designed to be transparent to everybody but serious Times readers.

So will I pay up? Well...maybe. Probably. Especially since it's a deductible business expense, and especially since I cheerfully admit to having a bias in favor of the idea of people being willing to pay for high-quality content.

I don't understand, however, why the all-access plan costs as much as the Web/phone and Web/iPad plans put together. Doesn't that mean that all-access subscribers are paying for the Web twice? (Sounds to me it's like a restaurant that charges $15 for a burger and Coke, $20 for a burger and fries, or $35 for a burger, a Coke, and fries.)

Of course, whether any one person (especially any one person who happens to be in the media himself) is willing to pay up is immaterial. The opinions that matter are those of the millions of people who aren't used to paying for news on the Web.

Other Business News:Hp dv6000 batteries,Hp dv6500 battery,Hp dv8000 batteries

Read More:http://www.wholesaleeshop.com.au/Wholesale-Electronics-News/what-we-need-to-know-before-buying-ipad-2/
Alabama Land For Sale-Should I Buy Hunting Land Or Is Leasing A Good Option What You Should Know If You Want To Buy Anabolic Steroids Some People Must Pay the Property Tax. Find Out Who Are They Antique Billiar Table - Buyer's Guide Shopping online in India How To Find a Good Paying Job Where to buy Peter Kay concert tickets The Value of the Payroll Team Is Selling the Same as Helping People Buy? How to do comparison shopping when shopping online Never Pay For Cable Again Reasons to Buy Newtonian Reflector Telescopes Caring For Your Feet Pays Dividends
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.134.87.95) Michigan / Ann Arbor Processed in 0.011709 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 18 , 2898, 962,
The permeable paywall returns March 28 for the most voracious readers Ann Arbor