Insurances.net
insurances.net » Taxes » Taxes, Investment Costs And Investment Returns
Finance Investing Loans Personal-Finance Taxes Loan quotes
]

Taxes, Investment Costs And Investment Returns

High before tax returns may not be best..

If you accept the often repeated warning that past investment returns do not provide a guide to future performance, you would be smart enough to not select a fund manager based simply on their recent results.

But what if you knew for certain (which you couldn't) that a particular investment manager would return 1% p.a. above their relevant market indicator, before investment costs and taxes, for the next 10 years. Would you select that manager in preference to one that guaranteed you the market return? As we demonstrate, not necessarily.

Your objective as an investor should be to maximise your investment returns after-tax, costs and inflation for the amount of risk you accept i.e. your net risk adjusted return. In this article, we will focus on the importance of taxes and investment costs (e.g. fund manager fees, transaction costs). We have discussed the risk issue extensively in our Foundations of Financial Economics" articles and, excluding inflation indexed bonds, there is little an individual investor can do, directly, to take account of inflation.

Taxes and investment costs can severely reduce the amount of money that ends up in investors' pockets. Investment managers that are inefficient in the management of these components of your net risk adjusted return need to generate significant, reliable pre-tax and cost outperformance to compensate.

How tax structure, investment costs and the composition of investment returns interact

To examine how taxes and investment costs affect net investment returns, we assume an investment earns a before-tax, inflation and costs return or gross return of 9.2% p.a., for ten years. This happens to equal the return of the relevant market indicator for that type of investment i.e. it is "the market" return.

With inflation assumed at 4% p.a., an after inflation gross return of 5% p.a. is implied. Over ten years, $1,000 would grow to $1,629 in today's dollars. We will call this "gross real wealth". As we shall demonstrate, taxes and investment costs eat into gross real wealth to varying degrees.

As discussed in

by: John Raymond Leske
How You Find Help For Naperville Taxes? Avoiding A Tax Lien Is Easy As Pie Importance Of Illinois Tax Accountant Free Tax Filing 2010 Free State Tax Filing, Free Federal Tax Filing. Six Things To Check When Filing Income Tax Returns In India Proactive Cpa Can Save Lot Of Money In Naperville Tax Return The Nfl Intelligence Exam Property Tax Information Ten Of The Greatest Nfl Jerseys Head Coach Second Are You Buried In Year-end Financials And Tax Preparation? The Importance Of Filing Taxes. Just Ask Wesley Snipes Car Donations For Charity Great Tax Deduction! What Can I Do If I Cannot Pay My Tax Arrears?
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.119.131.72) Wyoming / Casper Processed in 0.014519 second(s), 5 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 18 , 2356, 184,
Taxes, Investment Costs And Investment Returns Casper