Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » Surviving Driving In Ireland
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Surviving Driving In Ireland

Driving in Ireland? We've done it, so we're not saying it's hard..

. we just want you to think about a few things before you get that rental car and jump in.

Let me tell you a story... we were traveling with my brother's family in Ireland. At the Shannon airport, the fellows went to get the car we'd be sharing. It was a small van since there were six of us... Already a big car for Ireland, right?

Well, brother doesn't travel much, but he had made the car reservation, and he said, "Don't worry, I can drive it." By the time they got from one side of the airport to the other to pick us up, he gave the keys to my hubby and said, "I'll watch the first day or two." Eventually he was driving in Ireland just fine, but the point is, it does take some getting used to.

Most cars are stick shift/ manual transmission. "That's OK", you're thinking, "I can drive a stick shift." But can you do that comfortably on the other side of the car... with the shift on the other side.... driving on the left? Remember my brother.Surviving Driving In Ireland

Ireland is one European country that has a lot of traffic accidents. Because of that, you may find that Collision Damage Waiver insurance (CDW) is mandatory on your rental car. Maybe it's those narrow roads with the hedgerows that make it difficult to see other traffic, and difficult to avoid the traffic even if you see it... unless you're going very slowly. Don't count on your credit card coverage here.... check with your credit card company before you rent. Ireland may be one of those countries they exclude from coverage.

You'll sometimes be told that you need an international drivers license, but you can usually get by with just your regular driver's license. Always check before you go.

When you're making a rental car reservation, we suggest you reserve the smallest car your group will fit in. We keep repeating... remember those narrow roads. Smaller cars will be easier to park. You'll also get better gas milage with a smaller car.. and gas is expensive.

Car travel isn't necessarily fast. The speed limit through towns is 30 miles per hour or less (50 km/h)... and you'll mostly be on small roads that go through lots of towns. That's why you're driving in Ireland... to see all those little Irish towns and the great scenery.

Get used to roundabouts. They really make things easier once you get the hang of merging.... Remember that traffic in the roundabout has the right of way. Roundabouts are easier, really, than right hand turns at big intersections where most Americans and Europeans are turning the "wrong way."Surviving Driving In Ireland

If you get confused about where to park, ask a local. Do you need to pay at a central machine and get a ticket to park at a pay-and-display area? Locals will let you know what is legal... and talking to locals is part of the fun. It's the same thing if you get lost. Stop and ask someone. You can get directions and a dose of that Irish lilt at the same time... and sometimes a story will come with it.

Anything more about driving in Ireland? Get a guidebook or map that translates Irish place names so you'll know what you're looking for... it may not be Greek, but Gaelic can be just as confusing. Wear your seat belts. Obey the speed limits; they are strictly enforced... and you shouldn't be in a hurry anyway... you're on holiday!

By: Sammy Hely
Newquay – a Shopper's Paradise A Assured Technique to Come across the Greatest Penny Stocks and Triple Your Investments in Several hours Is It Easy To Make Money With Forex - Simple Tips Anyone Can Use to Make Triple Digit Gains! Chiropractor In North Miami Beach, Dr. David Ehrman, Makes Chiropractic Care Visits Easy For Patients Join in the Festivities of Fithru Eid in the Paradise Isles of Maldives Featuring the Young French Fashion Culture Math Halloween Activities How to Get Smart Dress for Your Travel The Weather Can Not Ruin You Pleasant Trip Why Not Choose Tag Heuer Watches as Christmas' Gifts Earlier in September? Beijing Travel Guide Backpacking Around Australia Travelling around the UK…
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.149.26.176) / Processed in 0.013098 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 24 , 3593, 954,