Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » Summer Basketball Workout Program - How to Motivate Your Players
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Summer Basketball Workout Program - How to Motivate Your Players

Summer Basketball Workout Program As a long time basketball coach and fan of the

game of basketball I have often ended the basketball season at the banquet by saying these words - "Basketball teams are made from November to March, basketball players are made from April to October". I then ask the players what their plans are for the spring and summer seasons. I hope they will be playing other sports such as baseball or lacrosse, but I also want them to plan to be playing the game of basketball on a regular basis throughout these seasons. Basketball is the most difficult sport to leave for a period of time and then return to with the expectation that the shooting and dribbling touch will still be in tact - it won't. Basketball conditioning is an often overlooked aspect of youth basketball. Whether the player is in 6th grade or a senior in high school, there is much to be gained from a good summer workout schedule and agenda to follow. I have developed a basketball workout that seems to fit the ability and intensity of many of the players in our program very nicely. The program takes 90 minutes or so to complete and helps develop basketball training in the areas of speed, strength, ball handling and shooting. Along with this workout agenda I will also give out a chart for each player to write down how much they are playing the game and completing their basketball workout each day throughout the spring and summer. The chart has a simple amount of time played, how many basketball workouts completed, how many basketball conditioning & weightlifting sessions attended, and how many free throws made each day as part of our goal of making 10,000 free throws each summer (only 111 per day over the course of the summer) and to help track percentages made and missed. I ask that the chart be kept over the summer and given back to me the first day of school. The form will also be used for pre-season evaluations prior to the start of the season so that the players know that I care about the work they do over the summer. It helps to emphasize the basketball training aspect of our program. Here is the workout - feel free to use it as you would like. SUMMER WORKOUT ROUTINE Ball Handling - -- Drills without dribbling (5 minutes) - Figure 8 (forward and backward), rhythm, slammer, quick drop, round the head/waist/legs (F&B), tap (high to low). -- Drills with the dribble (5 minutes) - Figure 8, fingertip, crossover, 2 ball drills - do the drills at the knees & waist, alternate height - same time then alternate times. Do drills standing still then on the move. -- Moves on the move (5 minutes) - Do while running - alternate right and left hands - crossover, spin, through legs (from the inside - out), behind the back. Keep the head up and focus on the weaker hand. Summer Basketball Workout Program Foot Quickness - Jump Rope -- For endurance (5 minutes at speed) -- Quickness - 3 repetitions of each set listed below - allow 30 seconds of rest between each minute of jumping and build to more reps. Do these as quickly as possible. Right foot - 15 seconds, Left foot - 15 seconds, Alternate feet - 15 seconds, Both feet - 15 seconds. -- Ball Jump - Place a basketball on the floor. Jump for 15 seconds over it from side to side, then for 15 seconds from front to back. Rest for 30 seconds. 3 Reps to start and build to 5 over time. Build to the ability to not hop between jumps. Passing - -- Pass to a wall or friend - 2 hand catches on return (5 minutes). Work on the bounce pass, overhead pass, outlet pass (catch, pivot and overhead pass) and side pass (bounce pass from hip - with 2 hands). Shooting - -- One hand flip from 8-10 feet - (make 8 of 10, then move on). The goal for the summer is to get each of the boys shooting above their head with the proper form - legs for power with proper footwork and proper wrist flex for aim. -- Mikan Drills - 30 seconds each. Work on both the front and reverse (with back to the basket) drills. -- 50 shots off the dribble (total of 100). Mix in the following moves and mix in distances and areas from which to shoot: Simulate shooting off the break (pull up quickly), move on the move into the shot (crossover, stutter step, inside out) and stationary moves - fake drive and shoot from either side. Do 5 sets of 10 shots with 2 free throws in between for rest - repeat total set 2 times. -- 50 shots off the pass (total of 100) - Mix in the following with someone or self-pass (spin back): Step into the shot using your inside foot. Use both inside and outside pivots to square up. If working with someone always V-Cut before coming to the ball. Remember to catch the ball with your knees bent to allow for quick release. Do 5 sets of 10 shots with 2 free throws in between for rest - repeat total set 2 times. -- 30 shots using shot and pass fakes (total of 90). This drill has the player use a pump fake prior to taking the shot. Variations are to pump fake to dribble to the shot and to pass fake to the shot. Do 3 sets of 10 with 2 free throws in between for rest - repeat 3 times. All shots should be taken at game speed - rest by shooting free throws and not by going speed. Summer Basketball Workout Program

By: Muscle Gaining Expert
Celebrity Jewelry Trends - Dress to Impress Learn Spanish And Holiday in Spain The In-Trend Halloween Costumes for 2010 A comparison between Lasik surgery and contact lenses Matters Needing Attention on Tour to Mt. Emei Carnival Cruise Destinations Hypnosis Washington Dc Planning your Hawaii Honeymoon Travel The Right Way to Get Low-budget Halloween Supplies for a Wonderful Halloween Night Time in this Summer if You Choose Ed hardy Finding the Best Property to Rent London for Your Budget Learn About Celebrity Cruises Travel junkyard
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.139.82.23) / Processed in 0.012976 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 4 , 5700, 954,