Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » Something I Said - Bebe's Kids
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Something I Said - Bebe's Kids

Dwight Hobbes

Insight News archivesSomething I Said - Bebe's Kids

A classic that missed out on making it to DVD, Bebe's Kids never quite got to enjoy much press, certainly not the sort of splash coverage Disney's p.r. muscle, for instance, orchestrated for Alladin, Pochahontas or The Lion King. Nor was it met with a world of praise or, really, much attention at all, from mainstream critics. It simply didn't have a big studio budget behind the scenes. Which meant not having merchandising tie-ins to McBurger Thing to shove it down young throats. All it really had going for it, aside its already catchy title was the fact that it's a fine piece of laugh-loaded, surprisingly thoughtful animated viewing that kids and grown-ups both could sit down and have a ball watching.

Based on characters created by comic genius Robin Harris, Bebe's Kids is a warmhearted, irreverent tour de force of bone-dry wit with several sterling earmarks of quality. Reginald Hudlin's writing is tight, Bruce W. Smith's directing is well paced and the whole experience is chock full of wry humor with a simple storyline and a positive message: the caring difference men can make in the lives of daddy-less children is vitally important. Of course, sometimes it calls for a great deal of patience and a strong store of understanding (these young 'uns, here, are a handful and a half) but the result is way worth it.

The plot deftly includes a priceless subtext, inventively championing the appreciation of cultural diversity without resorting to stale or stilted rhetoric. The dialogue's flavor, snappy and authentic, smacks of black urban homes everywhere, killers lines delivered with hilariously glum deadpan. For example: "I'll smack all the black off you; "You mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family" and "Go 'head, beat him like he owe you money". Those particular throwaway lines are beautifully executed by Faizon Love, who so faithfully reads Harris' style for the protagonist "Robin", complete with swiss-clock timing, you'd swear it was Harris, himself come back from the grave. The supporting cast of voices features some of the finest professionals in the business - Vanessa Bell Calloway (What's Love Got To Do With It, The Inkwell), stage, television and film veteran Moses Gun, television star Nell Carter, comedian Louie Anderson, master impressionist Rich Little and an hysterically on-target personification by rapper Tone Lc, laid back and laconic as smallest and smelliest Bebe kid "Pee Wee", who travels with a compliment of flies circling his diaper. Providing the flawless musical backdrop is a hook-strewn, in-the-cut soundtrack with new numbers by, among others, The Ojays and The Emotions. Some of the off-the-cuff language is slightly salty, but 11 kids out of 10 have regularly heard bluer expletives come out of their parents' mouths long before they watched Bebe's Kids so it's not going to warp any young mind. Also, the curvy character Vanessa Bell Calloway voices, "Jamika", is drawn hot as a sunburn (not much unlike the actor, herself), but, again, youngster see more provocatively protruding posteriors (say that five times fast) on Beyonc videos.

The story is straightforward. "Robin", trying to romance "Jamika", takes her, her son and her friend Bebe's trio of menacing minors to Funworld, where, naturally, all pandemonium breaks loose as these little kids can't behave to save their lives and every time they turn around find something else to get into. Before he can accomplish his libidinous ends, to which baby-sitting the brats is the means, he comes to learn bad kids don't get that way by themselves and to appreciate that, deep down, they ain't necessarily bad, especially if they're paid attention instead of palmed off someone or parked unattended in a hovel. Bebe's Kids makes its point without preaching. It merely tells it like it is, reflecting on the simple, human solution to what still is today a pressing social problem. And, in the process of getting the message across this movie-viewing gem delightfully strikes one uproarious chord after another.

Too bad it's out of print and never made it to DVD, because Bebe's Kids is the quality of family oriented film-making that deserved to be around for a long, long time.

--
Buying Tips For Furnishing Childrens Room Kazam Balance Bike Is Great For Kids Depression In Childhood – Counseling And Therapy Is Needed Field of Thirteen. Dick Francis ADOPTING OLDER TRANSRACIAL CHILDREN Getting pregnant with a boy was never this simple Helping Your Teenager Build Self-esteem Keep Children Safe Even They Are Away From You The Secret to Smarter Children Christopher Goutman's Career Changes from Child Actor to Director to Producer Developing Your Child's Self-Esteem What to Wear with Kids Jeans Transform A Room Simply With Kids' Bedding Collections
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.118.102.225) New York / New York City Processed in 0.014278 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 18 , 4548, 956,
Something I Said - Bebe's Kids New York City