Insurances.net
insurances.net » Finance » Save Money, Save The Planet
Finance Investing Loans Personal-Finance Taxes Loan quotes
]

Save Money, Save The Planet

When I moved away from Orange County, California

, gas prices had risen to a startling $4.50/gallon. I nearly had a heart attack every time I filled the tank of my car. Fortunately, that wasn't often, as I had already opted to find alternate means of transportation to cut expenses from my family's budget.

Whether you're concerned about saving money or saving the planet, you might also want to explore alternate means of getting from point A to point B, especially because gas prices are so unpredictable lately. As someone who had to go without a car for several years, I can advise you on some of the best ways to get about town.

Public transportation is the most obvious answer, but it's not as simple as you might think to just hop on the bus when you need to get somewhere. Public systems are often unreliable, unpredictable, and even unsafe. Plus, the expense can add up if you are paying the standard fare each time you board.

That is why it is crucial to familiarize yourself with the routes long before you travel. Many public transportation systems now have websites that will help you plan your route based upon where you are coming from, where you are going, what time you need to get there, and how much walking you want or are able to do.

Make sure to print out the route it indicates you should take. Don't be afraid to talk to the bus driver or other passenger assistant if you feel confused or want to be prompted to get off when you reach your stop.

In order to avoid missing your train or bus, make sure to arrive at your stop 15 to 20 minutes before it is scheduled to arrive there. It is also a good idea to plan an alternative route or have another means of transportation--someone you can call for a ride, for example--in case you do actually miss the vehicle you were waiting on.

Find out about pricing before you board. When I lived in Orange County, I purchased monthly passes which I kept safely stowed in my wallet. Once I moved to Utah, I was able to add a student transport card to my other college expenses, which, once paid for, were good for over a year. But if you only plan to use the public system on occasion, you may want to pay the daily fare.

For the times when you don't have far to go, think about healthy alternatives. Visit your local bicycle shop to discuss options for a "commuter" bike that will get you where you need to go without an ongoing expense. Familiarize yourself with the bike lanes in your city, and find out if there are any particular laws that apply to bike riders. And if all else fails? Give yourself enough time to walk!

by: Art Gib
Salehoo Review: Know The Facts Behind Salehoo Get To Know Salehoo Better Through This Salehoo Review Create a Budget to Achieve Your Financial Goal McIntosh is not a Review How To Make The Most Money In Farmville Grass Green Ping Rapture V2 Driver Review Brake rotors - great value for your money Beam central vacuum When To Borrow Money Vegetarian Review All About The Range Cooker Review of Ultrafire C3 Stainless Steel Save Money While Bargaining
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.224.57.43) Hovedstaden / Copenhagen Processed in 0.022908 second(s), 7 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 16 , 2713, 385,
Save Money, Save The Planet Copenhagen