Insurances.net
insurances.net » Finance » Review of the Canon Wide Angle Lens - The EF-S 10-22mm F three.5-4.5 USM
Finance Investing Loans Personal-Finance Taxes Loan quotes
]

Review of the Canon Wide Angle Lens - The EF-S 10-22mm F three.5-4.5 USM

Review of the Canon Wide Angle Lens - The EF-S 10-22mm F three.5-4.5 USM

I have just received my new Canon EF-S 10-22 ultra-wide angle lens. This is 1 of Canon's most well-known lens and is created for the "crop sensor" series of DSLR. Much more on what a crop sensor is later. My 1st thought after a couple of frames is "Wow, this is seriously wide, it wraps around my block."

The question of the day is why do I require a 10-22mm wide angle lens. I already have an EF-S 18-55 zoom that came with Canon X1i camera. So what am I going to do with that additional 8mm of width for a wide angle shot. That 8mm is like a football field when I am shooting a landscape within the distance (well perhaps not fairly a football field, but close).

There's a fantastic require for those of us that shoot landscapes for a wide angle lens. As you may well notice in my landscapes I tend to shoot really wide shots with mountains or red rocks within the foreground along with the horizon within the distance. I have been shooting most of my landscapes at 18mm with my kit lens on the T1i. That means that I am shooting at 28.8mm in film 35mm size. This is since the T1i is really a crop sensor camera with a factor 1.6x.

Now I need to explain the crop sensor stuff. Suffice to say that you will discover 3 ratios of crop sensors within the Canon line of cameras; full sensor, 1.3x, and 1.6x. This refers to the ratio of the sensor (the personal computer chip that sees the image and translates it to digital). The full sensor is the exact same size as the 35mm camera of years past. The two other ratios are, in effect, a subset of the full sensor along with the 35mm film size. For practical purposes this means that the full sensor would see the whole football field, the 1.3x sensor would see inside the 20 yard lines along with the 1.6 factor would capture inside the 30 yard lines. Now, you math majors out there don't hold me to the exact proportions, I am just attempting to illustrate the concept.

Here is really a list showing what Canon cameras have which sensor:

Canon EOS 1Ds, Mark II and II (Full Frame)

Canon EOS 5D and 5D, Mark II (Full Frame)

Canon EOS 1D, Mark III,IV (1.3x Crop Frame)

Canon Digital Rebel, T1i,XSi,XS (1.6x Crop Frame)

Canon EOS 20D,30D,40D,50D,7D (1.6x Crop Frame)

Now what does all this need to do with me wanting, needing, lusting after a 10-22mm wide angle? Now you know that this lens will fit on my camera (whew, that took a lengthy time). You'll also know that the 10mm, the widest of the wide angle, is genuinely a 16mm on my camera compared to how it looks on a full frame camera. That's still really excellent and will capture actually ranging views of those red rocks that I am so fond of.

What about the other characteristics of the lens? All of the reviews I have read show it to be an extremely top quality "glass." Canon designates their top-of-the-line lenses with the letter "L" within the description. Even though the EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 doesn't carry the "L" designation, the use of 3 aspheric elements and 1 SD element is really a widespread characteristic of a high quality lens. My very first initial shots with the lens left me with the impression of how clear and sharp it's.

This has top quality optical parts and isn't a "low-end, consumer kind lens". Some pundits have suggested that if it had not been an EF-S sort lens, it may have received the "L" designation, but since it'll not fit on a pro level DSLR (EOS 5D,1Ds series), Canon did not give it a "professional" L designation. In reality, no EF-S lenses have the "L" designation to date.

EF-S lenses, of course, are created for use only with APS-C (1.6x) sensor Canon DSLRs and will presently only physically mount on the Digital Rebel series, and EOS 20D,30D,40D,50D 7D. The EF-S design permits the rear element to be closer to the sensor then with EF lenses, improving image high quality, specially at the shortest focal lengths. The "S" in EF-S means "short back focus" and now you know why.

There are lots of technical reasons that this lens is very good for wide shots and landscapes. The reviews have shown that it's really sharp and extremely quick when auto focusing. On the negative side I will note that, in the event you use this lens when looking at an individual up close it'll make them look like they're standing within the circus exhibit with the distorted mirrors. It's clearly created for those shots which are as wide as all outdoors.
Clever, financially independent, not too bad to look at BUT STILL SINGLE? How to Save Money on Organic Meat Cheap Tickets: Shortcut To Save Money! Steve Brown Getting Shape Review Best Ways To Generate More Money Why Buying Hardwood Flooring Can Save You Money My M&M's Promo Code & Review HP PSC 2110 Review Empire Formula Review - What You Need to Know Htc Gratia Contract A Best Choice In Budget How to make money using ClassifiedsGiant.com The APA is reviewing the DSM Registry Defence Review
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.224.66.196) Hovedstaden / Copenhagen Processed in 0.006675 second(s), 5 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 30 , 4674, 385,
Review of the Canon Wide Angle Lens - The EF-S 10-22mm F three.5-4.5 USM Copenhagen