Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » I Love Wine And Italy - Wine Touring In The Basilicata Region by:Levi Reiss
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

I Love Wine And Italy - Wine Touring In The Basilicata Region by:Levi Reiss

I Love Wine And Italy - Wine Touring In The Basilicata Region by:Levi Reiss

So you have decided to go to Basilicata, a region of southern Italy bordering on the Gulf of Taranto and the Tyrrhenian Sea

. This is the real Italy, relatively neglected by tourists. Like most Italian cities, Matera has a lovely Cathedral but it also is home to a wide variety of churches, some of which are situated in caves. Talking about caves, the Sassi di Matera (Stones of Matera) are caves that have been occupied continuously by human beings for an estimated nine thousand years. This area has been used again and again in films because of its similarity to ancient Jerusalem. The Parco Nazionale del Pollino (Pollino National Park) the largest one in all Italy covers just under 750 square miles (more than 1900 square kilometers). If you like historic churches, be sure to visit the neighboring villages that hold spring and summer festivals with an Albanian flavor; many of the inhabitants are ethnic Albanians. The village of Nopoli is home to the Palazzo Rinaldi artist's residence.

Basilicata is home to three DOC wines, Matera made in a variety of styles near the city of that name, Terra dell'Alta Val d'Agri a red or ros made from a variety of grapes grown near the Campanian border, and Aglianico del Vulture. I saved the best for last. This wine is vinified from the region's signature Aglianico red grape growing on the slopes of the extinct Monte Vulture volcano. These grapes benefit from the fine combination of high altitudes, volcanic soil, good drainage, a long growing season, and lots and lots of sunlight. No wonder that some of the best Aglianico del Vulture DOC wines are really fine. Be patient, they reach their maximum in 6-20 years. This wine is also available in semisweet and sparkling versions.

The major white grape varieties include Malvasia and Moscato. You will probably do the best with the ones near Mount Vulture. The region grows some Merlot but the red focus is heavily on Aglianico.

Companies selling regional wine tours include Italy Cycling, Rustico Cooking, and Wine Tour Italia. Tenute le Querce in Rionero in Vulture has a wine bar/restaurant. As you may guess from its name La Collinetta Agritourismo in Nova Siri offers a rustic vacation as does Masseria Lanzolla in Matera. A few words of warning are in order. Make sure to verify ahead of time for opening hours and whether English is spoken.I Love Wine And Italy - Wine Touring In The Basilicata Region by:Levi Reiss

About the author

Levi Reiss has authored or co-authored ten books on computers and the Internet but he would rather just drink fine Italian or other wine, accompanied by the right foods. He teaches various computer classes in an Ontario French-language community college. Check out his wine website http://www.theworldwidewine.com with a weekly column reviewing $10 wines and new sections writing about (theory) and tasting (practice) organic and kosher wines.
Great Places to Check Out While Visiting Scranton Pennsylvania by:William Hauselberg Last Minute Hotels: Just in Time Approach to Get Best Hotels at Discounted Prices by:Jenny Franklin I Love Wine And Italy - Wine Touring In The Apulia Region by:Levi Reiss Malaysian - Always Striving For Excellence by:John Aisha Jungle Trip in Ecuador by:Dixie Davey Tel Aviv Provides One With Classic Recreation Facilities by:Styan williams The Beach is Calling - It's Time to Visit Miami Florida by:William Hauselberg Holiday Travel Insurance: - Be Insured While Going To A Striking Place by:James Roy Prague Tours by:Neha Sharma Travelocity Flights Booking And Travelocity Hotel Booking Made Easier by:Arvind Khanna Why Are People Leaving Australia by:Principal Visas Indianapolis Attractions by:Kelvin Bush Western Australia Pushing For More Migration by:Beau Cole
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.225.7.243) Ljubljana / Ljubljana Processed in 0.006500 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 10 , 2947, 954,
I Love Wine And Italy - Wine Touring In The Basilicata Region by:Levi Reiss Ljubljana