Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » How To Talk To Your Kids About Drugs
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

How To Talk To Your Kids About Drugs

Author: Brandie

First, set aside a few minutes a day. Talk about problems or challenges that might have come up during the day and discuss how you handled them. You can ask your child for his ideas on simple matters to help him build problem-solving skills. These skills can help him resist peer pressure to use alcohol and drugs to solve problems. Decision making skills are important Children learn how to make decisions. You can guide them with a key set of questions to ask when faced with a choice: What am I trying to decide and what do I know about it? How do I know my information is accurate? Who gave me the information? What more do I need to know before going ahead? Who has the added information I need? Once the decision is made, ask these questions: What are the good effects of this decision? What are the bad effects? After this, you can ask your child to reconsider a decision and take responsibility for the consequences. Second, validate your childs feelings. Sometimes, children react to situations in ways we think are inappropriate, silly, or overdramatic. Thats because children dont have the benefit of our adult experience. What is minor to us may be very important to them. For example, if your child says, Mrs. Smith doesnt like me. She gives me too much homework, dont dismiss your child by saying, Thats ridiculous. Everyone gets the same amount of homework. Instead, validate your childs feelings, investigate the situation, and guide her toward a better understanding of the situation. Oh, I wouldnt like it if I felt my teacher didnt like me. But does everybody get the same homework assignment? If youre not sure you have all the facts regarding a situation, assure your child you will take action, such as talking to Mrs. Smith. This lets your child know that you respect her feelings and are willing to help her work through difficult situations. Read more at Parent drug resource How To Talk To Your Kids About Drugs Part Two Practice active listening. When you show interest in what your child has to say, he or she will open up. One technique to show youre listening and understanding is to paraphrase what your child tells you. Try doing this the next time you have a conversation. For example, your child says, I like playing soccer, but practice is the same time as my favorite show on TV. You might say, Wow, thats a tough choice. On one hand, you really like playing soccer; on the other hand, you dont want to miss your favorite show. Ask questions. Children have a lot to share when they think their opinions matter. Ask for your childs input about family decisions. These decisions may range from what to have for dinner to where to go for a family outing. Showing your interest in her opinion will make your child feel more comfortable about opening up to you. If you are successful in establishing open lines of communication with your child about day-to-day events, he or she will be more likely to seek your input on more serious issues as well. Many of the skills you use in daily conversations may prove useful when discussing tougher issues. How To Talk To Your Kids About Drugs Part Three Express thoughts and feelings. Being able to express thoughts and feelings with someone we feel comfortable aroundwhether it is a spouse, a coworker, or a friendcan make all the difference in how we feel about ourselves and in how we interact with the world around us. Similarly, young people need opportunities to express their thoughts and new feelings. When we try to limit the thoughts and feelings of our children, we take a great deal away from them. When we deny that their feelings are real, we are denying that children are individuals with their own perceptions. Young people who are taught to express themselves have an easier time dealing with peer pressure and resisting other temptations. About the Author:

Transmetron Drug Testing

Quality Home Drug Tests You Can Trust!How To Talk To Your Kids About Drugs

370 South 300 East

Salt Lake City, Utah 84111

801-596-2709

www.UATests.com
Bruce Springsteen Tickets - Born To Run In Its Entirety How Is Your Child With Autism Doing With His New Training? Online Middle School Can Help Your Child Idleness: Is your child a victim of this? Wholesale Baby Clothes-how It Works Swing Set Toys - The Traditional Generation Jumpers Michigan Garden Railways Are Popular With Children Of All Ages Can You Get Over Your Cheating Ex When You Have Kids Together Teen Models Making Way To A Glamorous Modeling Career Top Quality Video Baby Monitor - Let's Review Summer Infant's Best View Handheld Baby Monitor Do You Know The Right Way To Feed Baby Rabbits? Helping Kids Manage Anger How To Find The Right Sleeping Bag For Your Children
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.142.197.212) / Processed in 0.013780 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 14 , 4236, 956,