Insurances.net
insurances.net » Internet Insurance » Be a Storyteller, Not Just a Speaker by:Sandra Schrift
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Be a Storyteller, Not Just a Speaker by:Sandra Schrift

Stories develop themes. The themes chosen to illustrate the possibility of stories are:

Relationships, Choice, Creativity, Making a Difference, Celebration.

Speakers are ordinarily people, from teachers to grandparents, from mountain climbers to cancer survivors. The platform provides them with a privilege and awesome responsibility to share their stories in a way that helps the audience to "wake up." Good stories make people say, "Wait a minute. I can think or act differently about everything than I did before." Stories are everywhere. Speakers learn to retrieve them and retell them to audiences as a way to show their humanness to show they care; to open people to possibility thinking and how making mistakes will lead to the courage to finally help them succeed. Because most of us delineate our thoughts visually, great stories help to enhance and even transform our lives.

Be unique. Think funny thoughts. Live and re-live your story when you are telling a story. Words are critical so be sure to pause when necessary and BE IN THE NOW. Your words need to create an image in the audience's mind so that they can remember your story. They may be a step away from their own story. This will strengthen the connection between you and them.

It's a good idea to use props to enhance your humor. Remember most people have an attention span of six to eight minutes.

The Coach asks what is your story?

2004 by Sandra Schrift. All rights reserved

Publishing Guidelines: You are welcome to publish this article in its entirety, electronically, or in print fre*e of charge, as long as you include my full signature file for ezines, and my Web site address (http://www.schrift.com) in hyperlink for other sites. Please send a courtesy link or email where you publish to sandra@schrift.com Thank you.

About the author

Sandra Schrift 13 year speaker bureau owner and now career coach to emerging and veteran public speakers who want to "grow" a profitable speaking business. I also work with business professionals and organizations who want to master their presentations. Get more speaking skills at our "Summer Sizzle" webpage: http://www.schrift.com/summer_sizzle.htm. Join my free bi-weekly Monday Morning Mindfulness ezine http://www.schrift.com/monday.htm
Little Known Secret: Eliminate your Mortgage in 23 years or less! by:Tom Levine The Perfect Mutual Fund by:Charles M. O'Melia Universal Success Secrets by:Greg S. Reid The Best Things in Life Are Rarely Things by:Greg S. Reid Our Perception Determines Our Experience by:Greg S. Reid Stocks: Reduce Risk Yet Maximize Profits by:John Lux Quit and Retire Three Years Earlier! by:Rick Hoogendoorn International Support - Microsoft Great Plains VAR/Partner Selection - overview for V.P. IT by:Andrew Karasev A PR Surprise for Managers by:Robert A. Kelly The Top Three Problems IT Managers Face and How to Overcome Them by:Frank Schmidt Self-Confidence Is The Key To Personal And Professional Success by:Michael Port So You Want To Get In To Manufacturing (part 1) by:Rick Boklage Monday Morning Mindfulness by:Sandra Schrift
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.19.29.89) / Processed in 0.006315 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 18 , 2618, 973,