South African Safari Accommodation: Kruger National Park Lodges by:Damian Burke
With a history dating back to a time when South African was still a union under colonial rule, the Greater Kruger area has been a conservation hotspot for over a hundred years. The subtropical wonderland has been the destination for many intrepid traveller, nature enthusiasts and adventure seeker over the years.
Home to the Big Five, Little Five and an array of other marvellous flora and fauna species, the area provides a comfortable stay for visitors, but nature is still very much in charge. Tucked away in the privacy and luxurious splendour of the romantic African bush lands, the Kruger National Park is one of the most wildly popular safari destinations in the world.
Kruger National Park Lodges
The park, which covers a huge area of South Africa, is made up of individual Kruger National Park lodges which form the community of tourism and conservation in the area.
These individual, privately owned reserves each cover thousands of hectares of unspoiled land and are always striking, creating an illusion that much of the accommodation has been carved out of the natural landscape.
The cultures of South Africa are well represented at the various Kruger National Park Lodges, with the vast majority of staff being of local heritage. From the concierge to the game rangers and trackers, the lodges cater to the whims of global travellers without losing the diverse yet distinct South African charm.
What To Do at A Kruger National Park Lodge?
Once you arrive at your Kruger National Park lodge of choice, deciding what to do first will come naturally - but here are some ideas to get you in the African safari adventure mindset:
- Go for a nature walk at dusk.
- Enjoy the overwhelming population of stars in the African night sky.
- Cross as many indigenous African birds as possible off your list.
- Relax and unwind with a spa treatment.
- Take a wood-fuelled open-air bush shower.
- Tuck into exquisite African cuisine.
- Relax in a hammock in the harmony of the wilderness.
- Spend time with your travel companions (and maybe new friends) around a camp fire.
- Take a micro-light flight, helicopter flip or hot air balloon ride to get a bird's eye view of the many Kruger National Park lodges and their surrounding beauty.
Blending home comforts with the indigenous style and grace of the African outback, at Kruger National Park Lodges - be it in a chalet, hut, or on even camping and 'caravanning' grounds - the intimacy and curiosities of the African wilderness are sure to tug at your heart strings.
About the author
Umlani Bushcamp, located in the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve is one of the greatest Kruger National Park lodges on offer. You will enjoy an authentic Big Five African safari, while you take in daily game drives and guided walking tours designed to keep even the most courageous of explorers occupied and entertained.