Dining and Shopping in Fiji by:Paul Wilson
When taking your next Fiji Holiday there are many Things To Do In Fiji
. Below is a list of useful tips on what you can do when holidaying in Fiji;
Local cooking is Fijian and Indian. International food is also available. Table service is normal, although some places offer buffet-style food at lunchtime. Only licensed restaurants, clubs and hotel bars can serve alcohol.
- The legal drinking age is 18.
- Tipping is unnecessary or only small amounts for special services.
- Kakoda (a marinated local fish steamed in coconut cream and lime).
- Rourou (a taro leaf dish).
- Kassaua (tapioca, often boiled, baked or grated and cooked in coconut cream with sugar and mashed bananas).
- Duruka (an unusual asparagus-like vegetable in season during April and May).
- Lovo (feast of meat, fish, vegetables and fruit cooked in covered pits).
- Kava (traditionally prepared by virgins, who chewed the root of the pepper plant into a soft pulpy mass before adding water).
- Carlton (a local beer brewed in Suva).
- Fiji Bitter (brewed in Lautoka).
- Meridan Moselle and Suvanna Moselle (local wines).
- Booth's Gin, Bounty Fiji Golden Rum, Cossack Vodka and Old Club Whisky (produced by South Pacific Distilleries).
Major Hotels and resorts offer live bands, dancing and Fiji entertainment the biggest range of evening entertainment is in Suva - Victoria Parade is lined with restaurants, nightclubs and bars. Movie theatres are found throughout the islands and show both English-language and Bollywood films.
Favourite buys are filigree jewellery, woodcarvings (such as kava bowls), polished coconut shells, woven work (such as mats, coasters, hats, fans and trays), tapa cloth and pearls. Bargaining is not the norm in shops. Some shopkeepers will give a discount with large purchases. Duty-free items are available and include electrical goods, pewter, crystal and porcelain.
- Mon-Fri 08:00am-5:00pm, Sat 08:00am-1:00pm
- Many places close for lunch 1:00pm-2:00pm
A great place to book your next Fiji Holiday is on http://www.fiji-holiday-accommodation.com
this website has an amazing number of properties spread all across Fiji and its islands. This website also has an amazing amount of Information About Fiji and what to do.
About the author
Hi my name is Paul Wilson and I enjoy writing about my travel experiences.
Rajasthan - Enjoy your Holidays Like Never Before by:Rajesh Kumar Rajasthan: The Land of Desert, Festivals and Culture by:Rajesh Kumar Stress-free Denver Airport Transportation by:Badeth Abonita A House By The Sea ... In Bulgaria by:Nancy Hall Travel Business Opportunity And Luxury Travel Membership by:Jim Freeberg Best Beach Vacations in the Philippines by:Christel Lumabas Enjoy A Great Vacation in Ibiza by:Curtasu Dragos Florian Travel in Belgium by:Nancy Eben Travel in China by:Nancy Eben Enjoy Your Family Reunion At Big Bear Lake by:Naomi West Cheap Limo Rental Deals are Not Always Better by:Pitter Smith Rajasthan: The Most Popular Tourist Hub by:Rajesh Kumar Bali Vacation Packages Deliver Memories That Last by:Raymond Horsfall