Insurances.net
insurances.net » Cancer Insurance » The Dual Realities Of Breast Cancer Screening
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

The Dual Realities Of Breast Cancer Screening

More and more studies are telling us that breast cancer screens lead to unnecessary treatment

. I think it all boils down to your focal point, population vs. individual. Medical recommendations based upon population-level outcomes differ from those based upon individual outcomes. The numbers tell us that the screening often does more damage than good. According to the latest study in the news, one death from breast cancer is prevented for every 2,500 women screened, while 6-10 women are over-diagnosed, likely undergoing unnecessary, health-damaging treatments as a result. With those numbers in mind, should we be pushing breast cancer screening to the degree we do? Now imagine that one life saved by screening is yours, your partners, your mothers, or your daughters life. Now how would you answer that question?

So long as our understanding of cancers is so inadequate, so long as breast cancer continues to prematurely end so many lives and maim so many womens bodies, is over-diagnosis followed by life preferable to a missed diagnosis followed by the threat of death? Who decides? Individuals, doctors who treat individuals, researchers who study populations? Researchers are individuals too, presumably subject to the same odds of developing breast cancer and the same odds of over-diagnosis.

While I understand the position of those looking at breast cancer from afar, those researchers and statisticians trained to focus in on the numbers, I have a better understanding of the individual behind that number 1 in 2,500. She is my mother, my sisters, and far too many of my friends. Until that 1 in 2,500 is just a number, a number that very few of us can attach to an individual loved one, recommendations that we postpone and reduce screening will be hard to swallow.

If you havent been following such stories, heres the latest: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17585735

What do you think about the many recent studies highlighting the inadequacy of current breast cancer screening methods and their associated recommendations to postpone and reduce the frequency of screening?

Susan Beausang, 4women.com

by: 4Women
Learn About Prostate Cancer - The Most Common Male Killer In The Present Day The Right Way To Deal With Prostate Cancer To Increase Wellbeing Cancer Treatment Now Possible! Treatment Advances Of Hormone-resistant Prostate Cancer Lemongrass Tea Being Studied As A Viable Cancer Treatment Partner Detection Of Colon Cancer Prevent Breast Cancer With Saliva Hormone Testing Hero Honda Splendor Pro - Delivers The Best The Best Snoring Treatments In Tampa Get Radiant Smile With Professional Teeth Whitening Treatments! Short Term Rehab Treatments Dont Have Much Positive Impact On Addicts Prevent Cancers Ii A Meaningful Move - Raising Breast Cancer Awareness
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.145.186.6) / Processed in 0.011250 second(s), 5 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 12 , 2193, 301,
The Dual Realities Of Breast Cancer Screening