Insurances.net
insurances.net » Pet Insurance » My Dog Is Throwing Up, Should I Be Worried?
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

My Dog Is Throwing Up, Should I Be Worried?

My Dog Is Throwing Up, Should I Be Worried?

Throwing up is a natural behavior for dogs. Many of them do it all the time, and for any number of reasons.

So before you grab your car keys to rush the dog off to the vet, stop awhile! In most cases, there is no need for concern. Vomiting is just a natural way in which dogs remove unwanted matter from the body.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that you ignore it completely, because sometimes vomiting does suggest a more serious problem. But you'll need to observe the dog for other symptoms, for example, diarrhea, loss of appetite and general listlessness.

If you notice these symptoms it's time to visit the vet, although most likely it is still nothing to be overly concerned about. My Dog Is Throwing Up, Should I Be Worried?

Here are some common reasons why a dog may throw up;

Eating too fast - Many dogs tend to woof their food down, a throw back to the days when they could be attacked while eating. Feeding 3 to 4 smaller meals rather than one large meal may sort out the problem and will also protect against bloat, a potentialy deadly condition.

Consuming Grass - Nobody really knows why dogs eat grass, but many of them seem to love it. Some experts believe they eat grass to induce vomiting, while others say that eating too much grass makes them vomit. Either way, eating grass often makes a dog throw up.

Eating the wrong things - Dogs that are fed on junk food and table scraps, and dogs that make a habit of raiding the trash can, are always likely to throw up. A healthy diet and preventing access to the trash will sort this out straight away.

When should I be concerned?

Although vomiting is usually nothing to worry about, it should also not be ignored. The first thing you should be alert to is the frequency. Once in a while is not a problem, once or twice a day, merits a veterinary check up.

Also be alert for the symptoms I mentioned earlier, lethargy, lack of appetite, and diarrhea, as well as other signs, like blood, or unusual coloration in the vomit. In these instances, get the dog to the vet right away.

Vomiting may also be due to a more serious cause, for example your dog may have eaten a household poison, like a pesticide, or even a poisonous plant. If you think this may be the case then immediate veterinary treatment is called for.

How To Prevent Your Dog From Throwing Up

If you have a dog that throws up on a regular basis, there are a number of commonsense measures that you can put in place to reduce it.

Start by feeding your dog a healthy diet. Cut out all table scraps and junk foods and ensure that your dog cannot get into the trashcan. Feed your dog more frequent, smaller meals and add a fibre suppliment, so the dog is less inclined to eat grass.

These steps should be enough to reduce dog vomiting, but if not, it is advisable to speak to your vet.

by: Gary Walker
Usa Made Pvc Raised Dog Beds Got Pet Dander Problems?---7 Important Things To Know Ten Orlando Vacation Homes You Might Want to Stay In by:Mark Whichard Prepare Your Child For The Higher Competition With The Help Of Centex Soccer Training Good Advice To Hire Competent Lawyers How You Can Teach A Boxer Dog To Come Why You Need To Train Your Dog Online Auction - The Trend Is Catching On Les Tout-petits Choisir Parmi Sont Gnralement Passionnant - Laissez-nous Vous Avez Une Trs General Liability Certificates of Insurance Tips On Finding Competent Furniture Removalists In Melbourne Moving - How To Move With A Pet Fascinating Diamonds - How To Choose Wedding Location
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.235.46.191) Islamabad / Islamabad Processed in 0.013104 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 32 , 2955, 969,
My Dog Is Throwing Up, Should I Be Worried? Islamabad