Insurances.net
insurances.net » Auto Insurance » Learn Ninjutsu - The Pitfalls And Traps Associated With Being "self-taught"
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Learn Ninjutsu - The Pitfalls And Traps Associated With Being "self-taught"

Learn Ninjutsu - The Pitfalls And Traps Associated With Being

One of the most common terms used within the realm of martial arts training - regardless

if the person is describing how they set out to learn ninjutsu or another fighting system - that of being "self-taught." And, while most of people may have trained on their own, very few people can actually claim to be "self-taught."

This ego-centric mindset that ignores all those who contributed to their knowledge, even if only through mediums like books and videos, is bound to be prone to other flights of fancy as-well-as the traps and pitfalls that can await the unwary and unprepared student.

This segment focuses on just that - the problems of training on your own. Because, contrary to popular belief, solo training and being responsible for, not only your own skill development, but also in making sure that what you're learning will work - can be end up being more expensive, inconvenient, and even more dangerous than having to travel great distances to be with a qualified teacher..

Here are several things that you will need to understand, take into consideration, and guard yourself against when choosing this type of training method.Learn Ninjutsu - The Pitfalls And Traps Associated With Being

a. You are limited by your own knowledge and understanding

The truth is that, regardless of how many books you read, how many videos you watch, or how many "friends who can show you something" you have - you are limited by your understanding of both the lesson and the topic.

What I mean is: if you've never been in a real, knock-down, drag-out fight before...how do you know what it's like inside of an actual attack? And, if you don't know that, how will you know what you need beyond the step-by-step skills to succeed and ultimately "survive?"

The other side of the coin involves understanding the techniques and why they were developed the way they were. As an example, if you're teaching yourself Tae kwon do, and you don't know that the root art that contributed the high kicking techniques was developed to kick soldiers on horseback, then you will definitely attempt to use your "cool" kicks at the wrong time in a fight.

However, knowing this little piece of seemingly pointless trivia can help you to understand that, due to the position of the horse's body during the kick, your groin would not have been the exposed target it WILL be when you lift your leg in a situation against someone like me who is going to help "Little Elvis" leave the building!

Remember, without a teacher, you are responsible for not only learning the techniques, but also understanding why they are what they are, and when they are best used, strategically, within the scope and context of an attack.

b. There is no direct feedback in the moment

One of the things that I suggest to my students is to set up a video camera while they are practicing at home. This way, they can see what they are really doing as they go through their training and performance of their techniques and skills.

Many are amazed at just how different they look, when compared with what they "thought" they were doing. Without the knowledge of the fine points and the ability to quickly identify mistakes, you could be training with bad habits that will get you beaten, broken, or worse, if you don't know they exist.

So, one of the reasons for being under a teacher whom you see regularly is something called "direct feedback." That means that you have someone to point out these things that you are either unaware of, or don't know you're doing - BEFORE your attacker points them out!

c. You are at the whim of your own personality traits

Let's face it, we all have the tendency to do things like procrastinate, and put things off until later. And, if you are the kind of person who is lead around by your feelings before you do anything, then you might have a problem with solo training as a primary route to mastery.

Training on your own means being completely responsible for your own training and development - 100% There is no one else to blame. You can't blame your work schedule for not making it to class on time.

You can't blame the teacher for not communicating clearly enough when you get to choose the books, videos, and other materials that will guide you.

So, if you tend to put things off because you "just don't feel like it right now," you'd rather go to the movies, hang out with your friends, or you need to be reminded or motivated by mommy or someone else to train...

...then you're probably not cut out for solo training. You'd be better off finding a teacher with a dojo and a very structured program.

Unless of course you're choosing solo training because you're lazy and don't like to take instruction or positive criticism - unless you think you know it all and don't want to be held accountable or find out that you're wrong!

d. There is no support group to help you through challenges

One of the best parts about training in a martial arts dojo or with a training group is the support you get from other like-minded people. In the dojo setting, you are surrounded by people who are working on the same things you are, and dealing with the same challenges.

Contrast this with the fact that, as a solo practitioner, you have only yourself to turn to when things get rough, when you get picked on for being a karate-guy or "niiiiinnnjaaa."

Please don't see this as me trying to talk you out of training this way. I'm not. In fact, that would be counter-productive and a waste of time on mind in writing this for my students who have chosen or find themselves in situations where they must train on their own.

My point here is to point out the things that you may not have thought of. And one of those things can be the loneliness and misunderstanding you could face as you work to gain the mastery you desire.

Believe me - I know. I have been there because this is how I did most of my training. In fact, at the risk of sounding like your dad - I have never been closer than a 9 hour drive to get to my own teacher. And now, it's at least a 4 hour drive to the airport to catch a 13 hour flight to Japan!

e. Your ego can get the better of you

One of the greatest downfalls for many students is their own ego. Lacking anything to gauge their own proficiency against, they can find themselves believing that they are better than they are.Learn Ninjutsu - The Pitfalls And Traps Associated With Being

Many set out on this path, not to be proficient at self defense, but to be a master. They want to be a teacher so badly that they delude themselves into believing that they have made it - even without putting in more than the minimal time it took to read a book, watch a video, or learn a few moves.

And unfortunately, they can end up being both a danger to themselves and others. Because, anyone who sets out to be a teacher, will start seeking students when THEY thing they are ready. And, the results can be disastrous - both physically AND legally, if they are wrong.

Remember, it's often the preparation and awareness of any given situation that sets the truly skilled warrior apart from others. And, this is just as true when taking up solo training as your primary means of learning martial arts and self protection.

by: Jeffrey Miller
Learn Ninjutsu - What Is The Kihon Happo Of Ninpo-taijutsu? Learn Ninjutsu - Using The Ninja's Kihon Happo To Create Perfect Self-defense Techniques & Tactics Learn Ninjutsu - The Ninja's Secret Of Kihon Happo And Why You Only Need 1 Technique To Be A Master Learn Ninjutsu - The 3 Footwork Patterns In The Ninja's Sanshin No Kata Learn Ninjutsu - Understanding The Real Power And Purpose Hidden Within The Ninja's Kihon Happo Ways To Keep Your Children Safe While Enjoying The Summertime Activities That May Cause Injuries Florida Auto Loan Financing Assistance Car Crash Injury Claim Is The Highest Such Payout In Legal History. Cosigner Is The Best Choice To Finance Your Automotive Making Minimum Payments Is Like Taking Out An Auto Loan For 33 Years! Automotive Features For Young Families: Safety, Comfort, And Convenience A Simple Guide to Injury Claims Learn Ninjutsu - Japanese Titles Of Teaching, Authority, And Respect Used In Ninja Training
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.23.101.60) / Processed in 0.017051 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 64 , 7538, 952,
Learn Ninjutsu - The Pitfalls And Traps Associated With Being "self-taught"