Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » 5 Common Beliefs About England And The English by:Peter Robert Hayes
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

5 Common Beliefs About England And The English by:Peter Robert Hayes

If you are planning to come and spend some time in the UK to study or to improve your English language skills

, you might be asking yourself: is England really like people say it is? What you really mean is : is England really as bad as people say it is? There are many common myths about life in England. Fortunately, most of them are just not true. Below you will find the most common myths about living in the UK examined and evaluated. The truth is often even more shocking than the stories that you hear. OK, let's be honest, if every country had an identical culture, and only a different language, the world would be a boring place, wouldn't it?

Myth Numnber One "The food is terrible!"

OK, nobody travels to Britain for purely gastronomical reasons. We all have our favorite stories about British food. Here's mine: once whilst I was in Scotland, I ordered a pizza from a fish and chip shop. I felt that this would be the healthiest option from that on offer on the menu. However, the man serving me simply took a frozen pizza out of the freezer and dropped it directly into the hot frying oil. When the pizza eventually floated to the surface, he skimmed it out and placed it on some old newspaper, then handed it to me. Mmmm!

But, wait a minute. British cooking has improved tremendously over the last 10 to 15 years. More and more British people have travelled abroad, thanks to the arrival of low cost airlines, and so they have woken up to the good cooking that is available in France, Spain, Germany and Italy. Supermarkets in the UK now stock an extremely wide range of fresh quality international ingredients.5 Common Beliefs About England And The English by:Peter Robert Hayes

Another positive is the fact that we British have always been more adventurous when it comes to trying foreign food and so you will find restaurants serving authentic Indian, Chinese, Italian and Thai food on almost every high street in the UK. Also, many "Gastro-Pubs" have recently started up and have become very popular serving good nutritious British cooking using the very best quality ingredients. So don't be frightened of eating in Britain, look forward to being able to try such a broad choice of international cuisine!

Myth Number Two "The weather is shocking!"

Quite simply, this depends upon where you come from! If you live in the South of France or Italy then, yes, Britain probably is colder and wetter than where you come from. Most people coming to live in the UK from these countries actually notice that Britain is much windier than their home country. However, should you come from Siberia, then clearly you will see some improvement in the weathyer that you find in the UK. Bring suitable clothing for rainy and windy weather and remember that July can be one of the wettest months. With luck you won't come home and report, as one Spanish student recently did, that:"It only rained once during my 2 week stay in England, but this was on the first day it never stopped...

Myth Number Three "The English Are Cold And Unfriendly."

Yes, you will notice a contrast between the English man that you meet in the city centre at 8.30 hrs on Monday morning and the one that you will meet on the High Street after 11 o'clock at night. Clearly, the first will be rushing to get to work on time and will not be in the best of spirits now the weekend is over. However, the latter will be in a totally different mood and will probably greet you like you were his long lost loving brother! Alcohol will play a large part in this warm and friendly sociable contrasting attitude. (See next myth below for more details).It does take time to get a British person to relax and open up at the first meeting, but once they get over their initisal shyness, they will become your friend for life.

Myth Number Four "The British always drink too much."

Well, yes, OK. Let's be honest here. It is absolutely true that most British people, unlike most of the French, Italian and Spanish population, drink alcohol with the specific objective of getting drunk. The resulting happy and loud behaviour is seen as "having fun" and "just having a good time". However, there is still a line and anyone who crosses this will most certainly be told so by the rest of the group. It is not viewed as strange or seen as shameful for women to drink to excess, whereas in Southern European cultures women drinking alcohol is very much seen as taboo. Expressions used by the British to indicate that they feel that they may have drunk more than the recommended daily maximum, include phrases such as:

(Said the morning after) "I think I had one too many last night!"

or

(Said during a drinking session) "This is going down very nicely indeed"

or

(Said after rolling off a garden chair on to the beautifully mown grass during a family barbecue) "Oops!I think I'd better slow down a bit."

or

After vomiting on to the floor of the last bus home at midnight) "Hey! Sorry about that. I must have had a bad pint."

Beware. Don't try and drink as much as your British friends and avoid the last bus home at midnight!

Myth Number Five "The British are so polite and respectful."

Yes? Do you really think so? OK, so try and test this theory out by pushing to the front of a queue. Any queue! You'll soon discover that queue jumpers are considered by the British public as being much more offensive and evil than mass murderers. Also, driving through the rush hour traffic is hardly a "Gentleman's Club". There might be much waving, smiling and nodding as people generously allow others into the traffic flow, but you try pushing your way in, Italian style, and you will quickly learn a lot of rather unpleasant English hand gestures...5 Common Beliefs About England And The English by:Peter Robert Hayes

But most of all, come to Britain ready to experience a nation more than happy to laugh at itself. Like everyone else in the world, we English are curious about life in other countries and various cultural differences. If you can be prepared for that, and are happy to see the funny side of your own national habits, you'll fit in just fine and have a wonderful time! What's more, the British will immediately warm to you and welcome you into their lives and immediate cirle of friends. But, just remember: never, ever even think about pushing into a queue. It doesn't matter how old or sick you might be, this just isn't cricket!

About the author

Peter Hayes has lived as an Englishman abroad in both Italy and France. Now,he helps lots of foreign students and executives to improve their English language skills as Director of Inlingua Manchester. Why not visit his website to benefit from all the free resources to help you to improve your English language? =>

http://www.inlingua-manchester.co.uk
5 Classy Christmas Jazz Albums For The Holiday Season 5 Christmas Spending Crackers 5 Christmas Gifts You Can Give For Free 5 Christmas Gift Ideas For Kettlebells Fanatics 5 Celebrity Silhouette Secrets 5 Celebrities who truly understand financial hardship 5 Best Travel Accessories For Backpackers 5 Best Surfing Holidays In Europe 5 Best Strategies for Enjoying An Inexpensive Christmas 5 Best London Annual Events For Tourists 5 Benefits Of Travel Towels 5 Awesome Holiday Destinations 5 Arguments For Selecting A Virtual Tour
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.138.122.195) / Processed in 0.016091 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 48 , 6997, 954,