10 Must See Things in the Provence Area of France by:Orson Johnson
Provence has a range of attractions to offer tourists such as its scenic beauty
, quaint European villages and heritage sites. Visitors are sure to enjoy the magnificence of this beautiful and versatile Southern French region. Here are some ideas to make the most of your vacation.
1. Visit the village of Les Baux de Provence perched 245 metres above sea level to view its picturesque valley, ancient citadel and a castle straight out of a fairy tale.
2. Located in the south of Arles, the Camargue Wetlands house over 500 species of wildlife and exotic birds. Here, visitors can see the famous Camargue horses, renowned for their pedigree.
3. Visit the Granet Museum Aix-en-Provence that boasts of an enormous collection of over 12,000 pieces of ancient artefacts and memorabilia.
4. Get a glimpse of Ancient Rome in all its splendour at Arles with a trip to see the colony created by Julius Caesar, its Roman Amphitheatre and the Muse de l'Arles Antique with its collection of ancient roman artefacts.
5. Cathedrale Saint Sauveur in the old town is an architectural marvel with that has heavily borrowed from both Roman and Gothic architectural styles. Here visitors can view the intricate designs and wood carvings from the 17th century adorning the walls and ceilings of this monument.
6. Take an Avignon Wine Tour to indulge in some vintage wine tasting. Dating back over 200 years, the vineyards are set amidst beautiful landscapes and charming villages. You can also purchase their famed red wines at the in-house shops.
7. Visit Orange to enjoy its quintessential Roman essence at the Roman Triumphal Arch and the Antic Theatre- a brilliantly preserved roman era theatre.
8. Pay a visit to the oldest city in France, Marseille which is the largest port in France. This town houses top-notch restaurants serving delectable sea food specialities.
9. Catch the spectacular sights of Avignon while you feast on a three course French meal on the Rhone River Dinner Cruise. The sights include the Saint Benezet bridge, Rosher des Doms, the Avignon basin and the Pope's Palace which light up the shore with their splendour at night.
10. For literature and antique book lovers, the Aix-en-Provence Antique Book Market is a revered destination. It stocks an excellent collection of rare and second hand titles. Visitors can browse through hundreds of titles at the Place de l'Htel de Ville on the first Sunday of every month.
About the author
Orson Johnson writes for Holiday Velvet, a website providing Provence family holidays & Family vacations.
10 Must-See Attractions While Traveling To Washington D.C 10 Must-See Attractions While Traveling To Venice 10 Must-See Attractions While Traveling To Sydney 10 Must-See Attractions While Traveling To Miami 10 Must-See Attractions While Traveling To Madrid 10 Must-See Attractions While Traveling To Las Vegas 10 Must-See Attractions While Traveling To Beijing 10 Must-See Attractions While Traveling To Barcelona 10 Must-See Attractions While Traveling To Amsterdam 10 Must-Bring Items When Traveling 10 More Chocolate Destinations 10 Mexican Foods Tourists Should Try on Holiday in Mexico by:Orson Johnson 10 Luggage Tips for Travelers by:Alex Bayron