10 Best Ways to Save Money on your Road Trip by:Lydia Kelly
With the economy on the rocks and money on the mind
, it can be difficult to contemplate the expense of taking a vacation. Fortunately, there are many ways to plan a great road trip and keep the costs to a minimum. Try these 10 tips when planning your next road trip vacation.
1. Plan Ahead - This may seem obvious, but an amazing amount of money is wasted due to poor planning. By deciding where to go, what to pack, and where to stay you can make smart spending decisions without the in-the-moment pressure you may have on the road.
2. Go Online - Most locales have tourism sites or Chamber of Commerce websites with heaps of tourist information. You can find out everything you need to know about your destination, get travel tips, and find discount coupons for popular destinations.
3. Tune Up Your Car - A well tuned car runs smoother and uses less fuel. You can also save a lot of money and frustration, avoiding costly breakdowns while on the road.
4. Pack Light - Avoid overstuffing your vehicle. More weight costs more fuel. Many places offer laundry facilities, reducing the need for clothes.
5. Visit Tourist Information Centers - These centers not only give you plenty of information about the region you are entering, but may also provide free maps and coupon books that will save you money.
6. Use Coupons - There is no point collecting coupons if you don't use them. While a dollar or two off may not seem like much, it can quickly add up. Be sure to make use of any coupons you find for your intended stops.
7. Try Camping - Hotels cost a lot of money. You can stay at a campground for a fraction of the cost and enjoy a night under the stars. Many stores sell inexpensive camping sets for the beginning camper.
8. Eat Out - No, not at restaurants, but outside. Pack lunches, use the kitchenette in your hotel room or cook dinner over an open fire or on a grill. By bringing food with you and restocking at local grocery stores you can save a ton of money.
9. Bring Drinks - While it may not seem much at first, the cost of buying drink gets expensive. By using refillable containers you can stretch a jug of juice into four or more individual drinks. This adds up to a huge savings in the long run.
10. Enjoy Nature - While you will of course want to stop at the odd paid tourist attraction, natural wonders are usually free for your enjoyment. Take advantage of scenic lookouts, nature trails, and any other free attractions along your route. It will give you a break from the car and hours of cost-free entertainment.
While a vacation will naturally cost money, it does not need to break the bank. By planning ahead you can stretch your budget to the max and have the fantastic getaway you dreamed of despite the recession.
About the author
Nothing is more freeing than the open road! For generations, Americans have enjoyed the wind in their hair traveling from coast to coast seeking romance and adventure. Road trips are as American as baseball and apple pie. If you have always dreamt of taking that journey, Road Trip Journal has the information you need to plan that rite of passage. Visit us today at http://www.roadtripjournal.com
10 Best Things To Do On A Trip To India 10 Best Series Of Articles 10 Best Places For Honeymoon Travel 10 Best Last Minute Christmas Gifts of 2010 For Him 10 Best Holiday Parks in Europe by:Orson Johnson 10 Benefits to Halloween Fun 10 Attractions to Visit in Mexico City by:Orson Johnson 10 Attractions You Must Visit In Plymouth, England by:Orson Johnson 10 Attractions Worth Visiting in Egypt by:Jessica Nielson 10 Asean Countries Will Benefit From China's Strategy Of Expanding Domestic Demand 10 Anti-Development African attitudes-The enemy within 1. Public understanding of the causes and implications of the financial crisis in South Africa by Millen Mehari (ISN - 978-0-620-43752-3) 1 Idea That Can Make An Impression On A Costume-rocker Halloween Costume