10 Attractions You Must Visit In Plymouth, England by:Orson Johnson
Plymouth is a haven for adventure and nature lovers
. The town houses several museums for those who are interested in history and culture. The town is also renowned for its splendid harbours. Here are 10 places you must see when visiting this beautiful town.
1. Barbican is the busiest harbour of Plymouth comprising of two historical streets. Take a walk through them to find a medley of ancient buildings, antique shops and bustling restaurants.
2. Located in the Barbican area of the city, the National Marine Aquarium houses some of the rarest aquatic life in the country. Here you can see sharks, seahorses, shoals of fish and various types of marine life in all their glory. The Aquarium also has a cafeteria, a garden with picnic tables and a souvenir shop for tourists.
3. Devonport Royal Dockyard symbolises the industrious sprit of the town. Here, you can see some of the best submarines and yachts being created and repaired.
4. The Lost Gardens of Heligan are a must visit with their beautifully landscaped theme gardens and rare plant specimens. The added attractions here are the ponds and a jungle area. The expansive lawns are visually stunning and worth wandering into.
5. Dartmoor Wildlife Park, located on the outskirts of Plymouth spreads across 30 acres and is the abode of many wildlife species. A falconry centre is located on the grounds for visitors to enjoy; there is also a play area for children. Here, visitors can book a wildlife trail and enjoy a walk in the woods to truly experience nature.
6. Plymouth Gin, in existence for over 400 years at the Blackfriars, is an institution that gin lovers swear by. Regular Tours are arranged by the distillery to give you a firsthand account of the manufacturing of gin. Also an in house shop sells the best and rarest array of alcohol available.
7. A favourite of architecture enthusiasts, the Crownhill Fort is a Victorian architectural marvel, rich with heritage and ancient beauty; the fort is also a popular venue for events.
8. The Merchants house is a splendid reminder of the glory of Plymouth's historic past. Housing several 17th century curios ranging from mantelpieces to doll houses, it is guaranteed to turn its visitors into art connoisseurs.
9. Built in 1665 as a protection against Dutch invasion, the 70 feet high walled Citadel fortress showcases brilliant military architecture. It is frequently upgraded and is still used by the present day defence forces and is an interesting place to visit. Guided tours operate from March to September.
10. Saltram House is a captivating Georgian Manor featuring exquisite paintings by celebrated 18th century painters, beautiful Chinese wallpaper and ancient furniture.
About the author
Orson Johnson writes for Holiday Velvet, a website providing Devon holiday cottages & Devon travel.
10 Attractions Worth Visiting in Egypt by:Jessica Nielson 10 Asean Countries Will Benefit From China's Strategy Of Expanding Domestic Demand 10 Anti-Development African attitudes-The enemy within 1. Public understanding of the causes and implications of the financial crisis in South Africa by Millen Mehari (ISN - 978-0-620-43752-3) 1 Idea That Can Make An Impression On A Costume-rocker Halloween Costume 1. Extracurricular Activities: Study, Work, Travel and Have Fun 1 DAY MOMBASA CITY TOUR 1 Bedroom Luxury In Phoenix Az 08 Days Travel To Egypt With Nile Cruise Holiday 08 Days Luxury Travel To Egypt With Nile Cruise 08 Days Budget Travel To Egypt With Nile Cruise Holiday 05 the first half of the country top 30 U.S. ranked second chain 05 Days 04 nights Cairo and Alexandria Stop Over tour package