Insurances.net
insurances.net » Personal Insurance » Personalities I admire: Arab Navigator: Ahmad ibn Majid, (Julfar-Oman), Ras al-Khaimah, UAE
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Personalities I admire: Arab Navigator: Ahmad ibn Majid, (Julfar-Oman), Ras al-Khaimah, UAE

Personalities I admire: Arab Navigator: Ahmad ibn Majid, (Julfar-Oman), Ras al-Khaimah, UAE

Personalities I admire: Arab Navigator: Ahmad ibn Majid

, (Julfar-Oman), Ras al-Khaimah, UAE

Hasan A. Yahya, a writer from Palestine

Ahmad ibn Majid was one of the most famous Arab navigators (mu'allim) in history, was born around 1432-1437. at Julfar in northern Ras al-Khaimah, which was part of Oman, until 1970, He became famous in the West as the navigator who has been associated with helping Vasco da Gama find his way from Africa to India, for in a work by the Meccan writer Qutb al-Din al-Nahrawali (1511-1582) entitled al-Barq al-yamani fi'l-fath al-'Uthmani, published in 1892, we read that, having reached East Africa, the Portuguese 'continually sought information regarding [the crossing of] this sea [Arabian Sea] until a skilful sailor named Ahmad ibn Majid put himself at their disposal'.

This is now known to be incorrect. But Ibn Majid's fame in the Arabic speaking world was far greater, for he was the author of nearly 40 works of poetry and prose. The first of these, his Hawiya, is a poem of some 1082 verses dating to 1462 which is a veritable compendium of navigational theory. Ibn Majid's Fawa'id, the full title of which translates as 'the book of profitable things concerning the first principles and rules of navigation', is perhaps the greatest work on Arab navigation ever written. Not only does it provide unrivalled detail on the Indian Ocean, the routes to be used in crossing it, and the region's chief ports, but he provides a history of Arab navigation prior to his time as well. (257 words) www.askdryahya.com
Personal Injury Claim Settlement Advice For Uk Much Manipulation From Personal Injury Lawyers 8 TOXIC PERSONALITIES TO AVOID Get Austin Injury Lawyer For Your Personal Injury Case Now Personal Injury Attorney Chiropractors might be Personalities? Produce Your personal Beats - Steps to make a beats In 3 Actions Personal Injury Lawyer Your Best Legal Assistance In Injuries Doncaster Rovers - Ipswich Town Live Streaming Football Online Hd Tv Coverage 28-12-2010 The Reality On Personal Injury Law How To Become A Personal Trainer How Should You Choose The Right Personal Trainer Course Personal Contract Hire : A Short Guide
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.216.121.55) Baden-Wurttemberg / Pforzheim Processed in 0.010830 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 8 , 1746, 967,
Personalities I admire: Arab Navigator: Ahmad ibn Majid, (Julfar-Oman), Ras al-Khaimah, UAE Pforzheim