Insurances.net
insurances.net » Internet Insurance » When It Comes To Investing, Leave Your Emotions Out Of It by:Franco Smeaux
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

When It Comes To Investing, Leave Your Emotions Out Of It by:Franco Smeaux

When it comes to investing, leave your emotions out of it

When it comes to many areas of your life you can rely on your emotions and instincts or gut feelings. But when it comes to investing in the stock market this is a big mistake. Not many people are able to use their instincts to make successful trades. So if the professional investors can't do it then you shouldn't fool yourself into thinking you can, especially if you a beginning investor. You need to invest with a proven strategy that has its foundation backed by fundamentals and solid research.

The same is true for your emotions. Most investors are driven by two main emotions, namely fear and greed. And, as has been proven time and again, using fear and greed to guide your investment decisions will usually lead you to lose money.

When you see a negative news story about a stock in your portfolio and you fear for your money, you may rush to call your broker and scream "SELL, SELL, SELL!" Without a second thought. This is a serious error. You are not making a rational decision by doing this. Emotions have no place in trading.

I am certainly guilty of this myself. I was watching CNBC one day about one of my stocks and the news was not good. My stock was down 25% in one day! I sold. Then I sat down and took a step back to see how bad the news really was. The stock was punished too severely. The news was nowhere as bad as I thought it was. Life went on and the "grey clouds" passed over the company.

The worst part was that I never bought back into the company and missed as it zoomed from $8 to $28! Only a 350% gain I missed out on because I let fear and greed make my investment decision.

The point is whenever fear or greed is involved, you will lose.

Another big emotion that can prevent you from making good investment decisions is love; falling in love with the company you have an investment in. When the stock is falling due to the fundamentals and the business is no longer viable and it comes time to dump it, you need to be able to do it without blinking. If you can't separate your love from the company then it will cost you big. Try to never get attached to any of your investments. You became an investor for one reason and one reason only...to make money.

You are not investing because you love the stock or because you enjoy the rush. You are doing it only to make money. Period. Never get emotionally attached to anything you invest in. Because if you do and can't separate yourself from the stock then you'll never make any money because the only way you'll make any real money is when you actually "sell" the stock.

About the author

You can get wealthy investing in the stock market as long as you can keep your head on straight and leave your emotions at the door. Franco Smeaux is the owner of Lux Investing, a premier resource for investing information. For more information, go to http://www.luxinvesting.com
The Synergy Paradigm by:John Maceda Handling Debt in 2005 by:Paulson Lopedro Top 10 Lessons for Small Business Success - As learned from my Twin 2 year olds by:Troy White How to Avoid Credit Card Late Fees by:Daryl Flagg Rebuild & Keep Good Credit Ratings by Understanding Your Credit Cards by:David Hall Using ClickTracks by:Philippa Gamse, CMC Tips for Online Job Seekers by:Tamara Jong Eight Key Steps to Selling Your Business and Cashing In by:Afra AmirSanjari Wealth And Your Net Worth by:C. C. Collins Coaching for Lawyers: 10 Ways a Lawyer Can Benefit from Working with a Professional Coach by:Jatrine Bentsi-Enchill, J.D., CPCC Win/Win Sales Negotiations - Myths and Realities by:Michael Schatzki New Bill to Keep Banks out of Real Estate by:Sid Cameron Credit In The Modern World by:T.B. Collins
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.133.109.30) Michigan / Ann Arbor Processed in 0.004996 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 20 , 3100, 973,
When It Comes To Investing, Leave Your Emotions Out Of It by:Franco Smeaux Ann Arbor