Insurances.net
insurances.net » Others » Tropic of Cancer
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Tropic of Cancer

Tropic of Cancer

Tropic of Cancer

I had looked forward to theBBC programme 'Tropic of Cancer' taking in two of my much loved countries of mine Mexico and Cuba.

I was however sadened to see Mexico portrayed as a threatening and violent country with the suggestion the tourism industry might be exploiting the local people.

One particular incident that involved a minor bump between presenter Reeve's car and a local taxi driver culminated in a scene at the nearest petrol station where the viewer was led to believe Reeve and his crew could be in grave danger and the local taxi drivers may turn violent at any moment. It thought it more likely that the increasing number of taxis encircling the group' were just curious.

Reeve was shocked and indignant that the taxi driver (apparently whose fault it was.. though we saw nothing of the accident) suggested he and his driver should pay up for the damage. With cries of 'this is blatant extortion' they finally caved in and paid the taxi man his requested sum to settle the matter - $13.00.

I understand following the Tropic of Cancer means a deliberately limited path to travel, but the programme concentrated solely on the negative, leaving the viewer witha pretty dim view of the country as a whole. Given that Mexico's economy is still recovering from the Swine Flu epidemic, and the ongoing high profile problems with drug related violence in the far north, holiday makers are already staying away.This was the last sort of publicityMexico needed. Reeve only fuelled the horror stories in the media with his dramatic narrative and edited film.

Increasingly television is a medium for education as well as entertainment. Surely it is the responsibility of the producers and the presenter (in this case Reeve being both) to educate and inform from a neutral andbalanced stand point?

Everyone I have spoken to who saw that programme has been put off visiting Mexico as a result, and they would be forgiven for doing so with headlines such as Decapitation Capital'.

There are wonderful destinations in Mexico which one can visit quite safely. For entertainment perhaps, but if you are passionate about travel and wish to learn more about the world - I would switch off.
Tips To Lose Weight For Kids Advantages Of Beginning A Home Business With Free Business Opportunities Achieve Symmetry With A Nose Job Is The Mattress More Important Or The Bed When Buying A Mattress? Use Hair Straighteners For Great Hairstyles How To Meet Women Women Designer Shoes Perth - A City to Relax and Enjoy by:Neha Sharma Online eyeglasses---cheap and easy to get Get The Luxurious Rental Apartments In Paris Through Skilled Online Service Providers Forex Trading Signals - What Are They? American Idol Season 10 Episode 12 :: Top 20 Semifinalists Announced I Need Free Money Fast
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.191.234.62) Mato Grosso do Sul / Campo Grande Processed in 0.012812 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 16 , 2323, 975,
Tropic of Cancer Campo Grande