Insurances.net
insurances.net » Pet Insurance » Training A Fearful Dog
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Training A Fearful Dog

Training A Fearful Dog

Its not just that your buddy got out from under the bed on the wrong side; this behavior has been coming on ever-so-slowly

. Think back. Over the past few months the mutt has been somewhat skittish. Its growled at you over things now that it never became upset with you before.

When your dog starts to exhibit signs of flying-off-the-handle, the thing thats driving them is their flight-or-fight instinct. Its also a hint that theres something theyre afraid of.

Part of it might be your close relationship with your pal. They have a sixth sense that tells them youre under a lot of stress. Part of their social structure (and yours, too, for that matter) makes them look-up to an authority, like you, since youre the leader of the pack. If you give off an air of weirdness, its everybody into the pool theyre going to buy-in and also get weird.

To tackle this kind of fear-based behavior, you need to take the reins. Youre going to go into Emergency Training Mode. Bring no treats to the exercise. This must be done in a calm, relaxed, understanding way. You need to be firm but fair, offering only a good dog as the reward.Training A Fearful Dog

As the canine gets with the program, doing a task like sit and stay, youll need to add some distractions. You might see that the fear is coming back. Your job is to show your best friend that no matter what, theyve got to take the initial command seriously.

As the dog sits, roll their tennis ball around. Make sure they continue to keep sitting. If they dont, repeat the exercise calmly until they comply. Try another thing to redirect their attention. Your pet has to relearn that they can trust you.

When you remain calm, the dog will chill and get the hints from the master.

Some fear-driven behavior can be an O.K. thing. If the mutt shakes like a leaf when a thunderstorm is flying overhead, its whether you Mr. or Ms. Ownerstein deems it unacceptable. Youll know things are going off the ranch if your Weimaraner is scratching-off your shirt or projectile peeing in your face. Thats not a bad, fear-oriented behavior to ignore.

Its alright if the dog gets a little antsy. But head this off at the pass. Once you know a cloudburst is heading in your direction, tell the dog to lie down. Again, be mellow but serious. Nothing wrong with comforting the poor thing with some companionship and petting. And its no crime if they look to you for a shoulder to lean upon in a stressful situation.

Your little job is to not psychoanalyze the dog. Your minor task is to address the behavior in a positive, constructive way. Respect goes a long way in any relationship.

A fellow named John Heywood usually gets credit for coming up with the phrase Love me, love my dog back in the 1500's. Some say it was St. Bernard who first coined it much earlier when he said, Who loves me will love my dog also.

Lets take it to the next level. Respect me, respect my dog. Or as The Beatles once wrote, the love you get is equal to the love you give.

by: Jake Theron
Worlds Fattest Sausage Dog Put On Diet Pet Grooming Preparation Tips For Dog Owners How You Can Choose A Dog Collar - Go Through Before You Brilliant Leather Dog Collar Recommendation Dogtra Is A Premium Provider Of Training Collars How Training Your Dog Can Keep Them From Dangers How You Can Take Care Of Your Dog The Dog Listener Dog Training Techniques Leather Dog Collar Tips Dog Training Basics Find The Best Feed Store In Tucson For Your Pet Companions Croton Animal Hospital Providing Evolutionary Care To Pet Owners Logix Blossom Greens Leaps Ahead From Its Competitors
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.141.200.180) / Processed in 0.012233 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 24 , 3097, 969,
Training A Fearful Dog