Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » The African Hunting Mystique
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

The African Hunting Mystique

Hunting in Africa was always an intriguing event for me since I was a teen

. I loved to watch the old hunting safari movies such as Mogambo, starring Clark Gable and King Solomon's Mines starring Stewart Granger. Clark Gable was an avid hunter and had an extensive gun collection worth over half a million dollars.

The African hunting mystique revolved around the natural beauty of Africa and its animals and also the native people congregating around their small villages meandering around their straw thatched huts. I often wondered what the natives were thinking when white African hunters would pass by their little towns. Scenes from movies of a train of natives, who worked for the great white hunter b'wana, walking in single file through the jungle carrying the hunting party's belongings and other camp equipment on their shoulders, were all going through my head.

Well, the mystique hunting in Africa was realized when I went there for my hunting safari. I went to Zimbabwe and felt like I was in an Ernest Hemingway novel. African hunting is quite different than North American game hunting. You don't sit in a tree stand waiting for the game to pass under you to take your shot. You are either chasing herds of a species in a land rover or on foot stalking game. Stalking games in the United States is done also but tree stand sitting and stand hunting, which is standing in one spot, is preferred in North America. The purpose of chasing the herds in a land rover is to tire the game. When they come to a halt to catch their breath, then you take your shot.

When you first arrive in camp, your professional hunter which is also your guide will ask you what is your preference in taking game. Are you looking to harvest a trophy size animal, near trophy or no preference? By size, I don't mean how big the animal is. The trophies are the horns the animal proudly displays. The size of the horns is what matters. In Africa they are called horns and in North America they are called antlers. The difference is that in North America the antlered species shed their antlers once a year. The horns on African game keep theirs for life. If an African animal cuts off a horn or part of it while fighting, it does not grow back, as with North American game.The African Hunting Mystique

To help assist when an animal is taken, there are two native spotters who work for the professional guide, b'wana. They sit on an elevated platform in the land rover and when the chase is finished, they glass for the size of game you preferred to get when you first arrived in camp. Glassing means they are looking through binoculars to estimate the size of the horns. I will tell you that an estimate they give you is pretty darn close to the actual size, if they are not right on. You might call them professionals also.

Now, you have taken your shot but missed. What now? Everyone gets back into the land rover and start chasing the herd again, because the herd is not going to stand there waiting for you to take another shot at them. If you get nervous in front of game, this is what happens. Now the herd settled down again to catch their breath and your are taking aim. You better be quick to shoot because they will be on the move again. You've taken your shot and downed the animal. Good shot, right through the heart and lungs which is the proper way of harvesting the animal. There is no suffering.

The two spotters are now your skinners. They gut and skin the animal for you. Why you say? That's why you spent the big bucks to hunt in Africa. These guys are so good and fast cleaning and caping your animal, they're done in 15-20 minutes. Sometimes less. All done with a small sharp pocket knife.

Now it's your friends turn to sit in the shooters seat. Usually, there are two hunters assigned to a professional hunter or guide. When one hunter harvests an animal, it's the other hunters turn to get his. I went with 3 friends. Two friends were assigned to another camp while my friend and I were at another.The African Hunting Mystique

Now it's been a good day. We filled our tags, licenses, and we're off to camp for our guide's wife to prepare the game to eat. If you're a hunter you know what a good feeling this is. African game is clean and free of any pesticides in the ground. You get a good night's sleep and you're off the next day to hunt specie of game.

You have learned some interesting material here that you probably were not aware of. Another important piece of information I almost left out was the caliber of rifle to bring to Africa. Most outfitters prefer a .375 H&H magnum. There is no doubt that this caliber will bring down an elephant, rhino and Cape buffalo.

By: Nick Boodris
Western Celebration Of Christmas And The Customs And Ways (figure) How Are You Going to Fit into That Holiday Dress? Made Money With Blackjack Tournament Rackmount Powerstrips And Its Draw On In Server Racks Cheap Travel Tickets: Easier Way To Explore Distant Locations Comparison Of Private Practice With Greys Anatomy Personalised Christmas Decorations Christmas Illumination: Christmas Lights Air Travel Etiquette Some Of The Ways To Avoid Hassles Poland Has Emerged As One Of The Favored Destinations For Medical Tourism Cheerleading As The Part Of American Student Culture A Comparison Between Directv And Fios Tv How To Have Hair Styling In Summer
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.222.238.105) Noord-Holland / Amsterdam Processed in 0.014168 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 22 , 5418, 954,
The African Hunting Mystique Amsterdam