Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » Rialto Market And Grand Canal Venice Italy
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Rialto Market And Grand Canal Venice Italy

Rialto Market And Grand Canal Venice Italy

Rialto Fish Market - Venice Italy

People have romanced about Venice for over 1000 years and I am just one of a long list. After having lived in this most magical of cities in the late 80s I fell in love with the lifestyle and the people. Although I believe the Italians as a whole have one of the best lifestyles on the planet, the Venetians take it to a whole other level.

One of the key reasons for this is the food they eat and that makes the Rialto Markets on the Grand Canal the beating heart of this ancient city. For sure St Marks Square was the administrative and political center of this dominant naval power but the markets were and still are the source of the inhabitants and now many tourists nutritional needs.

People need to eat to live but the Italians and Venetians Live to eat. If you are in Venice and you have the time I would suggest a visit to this bustling market which is just a 15 minute stroll through the busy shopping streets linking St Marks Square with the Rialto Bridge. Even if you are directionally challenged all you need to do to get there is follow the small yellow signs on the walls Per Rialto and Per San Marco for your return.Rialto Market And Grand Canal Venice Italy

Only open Tuesday through Saturday they are at their best before about 10am and certainly the fish market has ceased operation by noon. The fresh fruit and vegetable section lingers some time longer depending on demand. Although you will find meat it is limited as the Venetians live on fresh fish and this probably goes some way to explaining why they are a generally slim and healthy looking lot.

The market has been selling fish under a strict set of laws for almost 1000 years and one can certainly feel the history and tradition. As the market is closed Sunday and Monday you will find many Venetians eating meat or pizza or pasta on a Monday as the fish would be seen by locals as not fresh enough.

If after a visit to the markets your appetite for some fish is spiked and you have time to spare that or the next day then plan a visit to the tiny fishing island of Burano. Here you will find a still quiet and unspoiled part of Venice I estimate only 1 to 2 percent of visitors to Venice ever get the chance to experience. Why am I telling you this?

You will need to book in advance but the restaurant that stands head and shoulders above the restaurant Il Gatto Nero (The Black Cat) followed by Da Romano and Cafe Vecchio. Gatto Nero is owned and run by good friends and you should ask for Max who is the son of the owner. Cafe Vecchio is run by two brothers also friends and I believe has a better atmosphere than Da Romanos. If you visit Burano and cant get into Gatto Nero then see Fabio at the Cafe and he will look after you just fine.

A footnote to the markets is that when you are there walk to the water on the Grand Canal just outside the famous red awnings of the Fish market and you will be able to watch the Traghetti ferrying passengers across the canal. With only 4 bridges (A new one was complete recently) spanning the over 2 mile long Grand Canal it is sometimes difficult and time consuming walking through the narrow winding streets of Venice to get to one of the bridges when as the crow flies all you want to do is go 50 yards across the canal.

For this reason the Traghetto was invented. It is shaped almost identically to a gondola but is twice the size and unlike its smaller brother the Traghetto is rowed by two people. I find it fascinating to watch as 12 or more locals usually will stand, some reading the paper as the Traghetto delivers them in minutes from one side of the canal to the other in a time honoured tradition dating back hundreds of years.Rialto Market And Grand Canal Venice Italy

Author: Michael Drewell

AffordableCruisesTours.com

Michael Drewell has over 23 years experience in Europe and European travel.

by: Trafalgar Tours Expert
Romantic Spot For Vacation-secrets On The Lake Just Outside Atlanta's Perimeter Refuel Near Atlanta Perimeter Mall Make The Most Of The Alltech Fei World Equestrian Games Planning A Lavish Event For Less In Lexington Kentucky Duffer's Delight: Tons Of Offerings Near The Orlando Airport Exploring Downtown Orlando Orlando: A Visit To Sea World And Other Aquatic Activities Orlando Restaurants: Excitement For Your Taste Buds Cheap Hotels In London With Conveniences The New Orlando: Attractions Near The Airport A Duffer's Dream - Golf In Mobile, Alabama Alabama Bride Weddings In Mobile
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.191.110.17) Mato Grosso do Sul / Campo Grande Processed in 0.013837 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 26 , 3956, 954,
Rialto Market And Grand Canal Venice Italy Campo Grande