Insurances.net
insurances.net » Dental Insurance » Protecting Your Teeth
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Protecting Your Teeth

Humans have between 28 and 32 teeth, the variation depending on wisdom teeth and whether they come in or not

. Teeth can last a long, long time, as long as they are properly cared for. Remember, teeth are made of bones, and that is pretty strong, but bones can break too. However, bones tend to live longer than we do, so don't worry too much, just proceed with caution. Do all the normal teeth stuff: see the dentist regularly, don't binge on soda and sugar, etc. Brush regularly and floss lots. There are some other teeth-cleaning tenets that aren't as widely known.

Brushing after meals. If the food you are eating is acidic in any manner, it will soften your teeth for a short time. If you attack with a toothbrush right after that, you're going to swipe the enamel right off your teeth. So don't listen to the old creed of washing your plate and dashing to the bathroom immediately to scrub the casserole off. Give it a rest, maybe 40 minutes or so, and then go clean up. (Hey, that gives you time to do the dishes and take out the trash).

Flossing. Now don't get me wrong, flossing is great. It's one of the most important steps to take when caring for your teeth. Flossing one to three times a day is what dentists recommend. This will keep any gaps in your teeth free of food, and strengthen your gums. However, there is a downside to watch out for. A prisoner in a Washington jail broke free in 2002 by using toothpaste and floss in a sawing motion to cut through a mesh wire fence. If sawing with floss can do that, keep in mind what it could do to your teeth. Clean away, but don't overdo it.

Toothpaste. As shown in the previous story, toothpaste can be abrasive, which is good to a point; you want to get all that yucky food off your teeth. However, it can also erode enamel and damage teeth. A small glop, some say a pea-sized serving, is the perfect amount. A small pea, not one of those huge papa peas.

Keep these things in mind. The underlying principle in taking care of your teeth is this: You have to eat. Eating organic material leaves residue on your teeth. Organic material decomposes; yes, even in your mouth. That decomposition will weaken your teeth and destroy your gums, so you have to clean it out. Brush, but not excessively. Flossing is very important. I am reminded every time I go to see the Dentist in Katy, Texas , where I'm from, that I'm not flossing enough and I'll die young if I don't. Okay, they don't say that, but they get after me. However, flossing can help prevent strokes and heart attacks. No, seriously. Dentists are still trying to find the link, but by keeping cholesterol and blood pressure down, which flossing does, the chance or a stroke or a cardiac arrest are slimmer.

Protecting Your Teeth

By: Margaret Guess
Cosmetic Dentist Deerfield San Antonio - Cosmetic Dentist SA TX Parker Cosmetic Dentists- A Viable Option For Transforming Your Smile Rochester Mn Dental - Cost Effective Dental Care How To Find The Best Dentist In Rockingham What Dentistry Procedure Is Right For You? Get Your Cosmetic Dentistry Questions Answered Dentist: Regular Appointments Are Important Meeting The Dentist: Your Child's First Visit Sedation Dental Care Why And How To Use It Steps for Selecting a Career in Dentistry Trying To Find A Nashua Dentist Or Dentistry Practice? Free Dental Guide Tells What To Watch For, An Westchester, Il Cosmetic Dentist Now Offering Advanced Cosmetic Care For Enhanced Smiles Guaranteed Radiant Smile With Cosmetic Dentist Beverly Hills
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.128.171.246) / Processed in 0.006015 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 12 , 3408, 964,
Protecting Your Teeth