Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » Parent, Teen Communication - Stop Pushing Each Other's Buttons
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Parent, Teen Communication - Stop Pushing Each Other's Buttons

Now this child is a teenager and thinks she/he is an adult, and doesn't hesitate to tell you so! (hot button) You may find yourself trying to impose your own logic and life experience. (hot button) You may feel the need to 'fix it' for them. After all, you've been there, done that, right? (hot button) This approach often leaves both you and your child frustrated.

Many of our responses stem from our fears for our kids. When my children, now in their early 20's, ask me when I will stop worrying about them, I tell them that won't happen until I stop breathing. I will always worry about them. It's what parents feel. But there is a difference between your thoughts and feelings and your actions/reactions. This is where you can learn to be aware of your hot button and NOT act on it.

Too often parents feel that they must respond immediately - with advice, a yes or no to a request, or consequences. A button has been pushed and your gut tells you to take action. Instead, take a moment to breath and reflect. Think about saying, "I'll get back to you on that," or "I have some strong feelings about that. I need to think about what you've just told me." It is okay to disengage and consider what you really want to say. When you respond in this way, you are telling your child that you have really heard him. You are beginning to break down defensive walls and open the door to meaningful communication.

Reacting and responding in a more thoughtful, less emotional way is critical to a healthy relationship between you and your teen. A book that I have found to be helpful in improving communication and listening skills isHow to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish. It is an easy read, and full of do-able skills and strategies for parents of teenagers.

There is no EASY button in parenting; however, you can cool down your hot buttons and draw your child closer to you. It is never too late to start.

Fern Weis is the mother of two young adults, a certified life coach for parents of teens (Your Family Matters, LLC), and a middle and high school teacher. As a parent coach, she works with parents who are frustrated, confused and exhausted by the roller coaster years of adolescence. Together they work to create more peace, calm and love in their family.

Their work focuses on improving communication and listening skills, as well as values- and character-based parenting. Fern's experience with Hyde School (family-based character education) and the How to Talk workshops (adapted from the programs of Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish) are the basis for creating sustainable change in parent-teen relationships.

Workshop programs include:

* The Biggest Job We'll Ever Have (TM Hyde School)

* How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk

For more information about parent coaching and workshops, visithttp://familymatterscoach.com
Books On Childhood Development Bridge Gap Between Children And Adults Single Parents and Divorce and How To Tell The Kids The Benefits Of Buying Your Teen A Reliable Car Pioneer Children and Their Clothing The Most Popular Activities for Kids Birthday Party Children Life Insurance Company Online course a good option for my child with learning disabilities Protecting Your Child During A Separation Burberry Outlet Kids Coats-Impressive Head Of You Be Sure To Put Your Personality On Burberry Outlet Kids Coats Common Sense Associated With Burberry Outlet Kids Coats Prosperity Of Burberry Outlet Kids Coats Is Clear Having A Perfect Date With Burberry Outlet Kids Coats
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.137.162.110) / Processed in 0.011405 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 22 , 3139, 956,