Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » On A Path Without Any Destination
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

On A Path Without Any Destination

In this interview with Naveen Vasudevan, Satish Kumar, the editor of the alternative magazine, Resurgence, talks about his 8,000-mile journey on foot to raise awareness about the threat of nuclear weapons and the connections between peace, social justice and sustainability.

Walking the talk

While I was walking with Vinoba I had the inspiration to walk for peace outside India, because at that time (1961, 1962), there were a lot of campaigns in England, the US and Europe against nuclear weapons. One morning, I read that Bertrand Russell, at the age of 90, was sent to jail because he was protesting against the bomb. Here was a 90-year-old man going to jail for peace in the world, and I, then 25, was sitting in a cafe drinking tea! I was absolutely inspired and moved by Berty's action. So with a friend, E P Menon, I decided to walk for peace.On A Path Without Any Destination

I thought: How do I do it? I go to Moscow; I go to Paris; I go to London; I go to Washington. If I fly, there will be no impact because thousands of people fly by plane. You arrive in Moscow and stay in a hotel. And who are you?

But if I walk from India to Moscow, and then walk to Paris, and then walk to London, and then walk from New York to Washington DC, then at least I have put my body on the line, so to speak. I have put my body where my mouth is and expressed my protest by walking'On A Path Without Any Destination

We decided to walk because, for us, the important thing was not to reach the destination but to arouse public awareness. Walking is a noble tradition: the Buddha walked to enlighten people; Gandhi walked to make salt to free India from British rule; Vinoba walked 100,000 miles to inspire landlords to give land to the poor; pilgrims all over India walk for hundreds of miles for self-realisation. Walking is the only way to be in touch with yourself, with fellow human beings, and with the earth.

Once Menon and I had decided to walk, we went to Vinoba to get his blessings and he said: You have my blessings. This is a tremendous idea, to walk. For walking abroad with a message of peace I give you my full support. But I want to give you two weapons for your protection. One, go without any money on you. And secondly, you are vegetarian; remain vegetarian.

The reason I want you not to take any money is because if you have money you will arrive in a village or a town after walking all day, 20, 30 miles, and you will be exhausted. And you will look for a restaurant to eat in, you will look for a bed-and-breakfast to sleep in, and you will move on, and you won't meet anybody. But if you have no money, you will be forced to find a hospitable, kind person somewhere who can offer you a bed for the night. And when they offer you a bed for the night they are bound to ask you, Would you like something to eat?' And then you say, Yes, but we are vegetarians'. Then they will ask you, Why?' You can communicate about peace, because peace is not only peace in the world and nuclear weapons, but peace with nature, peace with the animal world. For that is your Jain tradition. If you can kill animals, the same attitude can kill human beings. The mentality is the same, that exploits nature and creates wars. So you can talk about it.' And he said: You must talk peace, not only the peace of nuclear disarmament but spiritual peace, peace within yourself. Unless everybody has inner security there cannot be world security. Peace within yourself, peace within the world (between peoples, and nations, and races, and religions), and then peace with nature. These are the three kinds of peace that should be understood as comprehensive peace, total peace.'

Social change is not one-dimensional. No single issue is enough by itself. Peace is related to social justice, social justice is related to sustainability of the earth, everything is connected and interdependent The urgent need of our time is to develop a culture of non-violence. Our governments, businesses, industries and our media all promote violence. We spend billions and billions of pounds, dollars, euros and rupees on the instruments of violence. We are violent to ourselves, violent to other people, and violent towards nature. We talk about democracy, freedom, development, progress, and even peace, but actually promote and practise violence. So, in our schools, universities, media, businesses, in all walks of life, we need to promote non-violence. Non-violence is paramount.
Travel insurance: what a service provider Gansevoort Turks-The best option for incredible journey through the most mesmerizing tourist spot: Contemplating Authentic Beach Holidays? Consider Oceanside Everything you want to know about timber flooring Bus travel – the most preferred way of travelling Honeymoon Paris Welcome Summer 2011 with divine and refined elegance in Katikies Hotels, some of the best hotels in the world Miami Beach Subaru Dealers Have Reason to Celebrate Importance of Currency Exchange Rate to Country Exotic Rajasthan Tour: Make Your Trip Exciting Watch American Idol Season 10 Episode 17 In Hd Copy Explore Gorgeous Attractions of India with India Tour The London Dungeon Experience
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.226.98.166) Tehran / Tehran Processed in 0.012993 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 18 , 4563, 954,
On A Path Without Any Destination Tehran