Insurances.net
insurances.net » Others » My Snake Survived Cancer
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

My Snake Survived Cancer

My Snake Survived Cancer

Reptiles, including snakes develop cancer just like humans and mammals do

. The number of reports on the internet is almost non existing with most tumours only diagnosed at time of autopsy. Tumours of snakes can be benign or malignant and originate from any organ or tissue of the body, including blood.

Tumours are abnormal growths in the body and made up of extra cells. Normally, old cells die, and new ones take their place. Sometimes, however, this process goes wrong. New cells form even when they aren't needed, and old cells don't die when they should. When these extra cells form a mass, it is called a tumour.

Tumours can be either benign or malignant. Benign tumours aren't cancer and grow only in one place. They cannot spread or invade other parts of the body. Even so, they can be dangerous if they press on vital organs. A benign tumour can be removed surgically with great success.

A malignant tumour is cancer - the fast uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells anywhere in a body. Frequently, cancer cells can break away from the original mass of cells, travel through the blood and lymph systems, and lodge in other organs where they can again repeat the uncontrolled growth cycle. This process of cancer cells leaving an area and growing in another body area is termed metastatic spread or metastatic disease.

There are over 200 types of cancers; most can fit into the following categories according to the National Cancer Institute

Carcinoma: Cancer that begins in the skin or in tissues that line or cover body organs

Sarcoma: Cancer that begins in bone, cartilage, fat, muscle, blood vessels, or other connective or supportive tissue

Leukemia: Cancer that starts in blood-forming tissue such as the bone marrow and causes large numbers of abnormal blood cells to be produced and enter the blood

Lymphoma and myeloma: Cancers that begin in the cells of the immune system

After a 2 month search I have not found one documented case of a snake that survived cancer. This is very sad, I dont know if the reason is because owners are not prepared to pay for the surgery that carries no guarantee or because owners are advised that euthanization is the only option.

Regardless of the reasons, I am here to tell you that my 12+ year old Californian King snake survived malignant carcinoma cancer and I hope that this will inspire you to give your snake a second chance.

April 2011 I found my Californian King Snake - Storm, with her mouth open wide and working something up from her stomach. I sat by her while she did this and after an hour she threw up a ball of clear water, it had the consistency of jelly.

I took her to a vet that was close to my Avian vet and he diagnosed her with gastroenteritis, he said that she was bloated and had a lot of gas. He prescribed Baytril that I had to administer with a tube for 9 days. This perked her up and she ate and defecated as normal in May. Our winter months are June and July and it is normal for my snakes to slow down and enter a semi-hibernating state during this time. However, I was still worried about her and took her back to the vet in June for blood tests and it came back normal. After this she retreated to her skull and stayed there through July. During this time I attempted to take her out a couple of times but she refused to show herself. On the 26th of July I sat with her and tickled her for almost an hour, forcing her to come out of the skull. When she emerged I saw that the bloating of the precious time where present again except that it was much worse this time.

I took her to Terrace Road Veterinary Clinic where Dr. Shabeer Bhoola examined her. He did an x-ray and found a tumour. Dr. Shabeer explained to me that her age was counting against her and that there was no guarantee that she would survive if he removed the tumour. In my mind surgery was the only option, I could not let her go without knowing that I did everything possible. She was booked for surgery the following day.

Terrace Vet

Dr. Shabeer took a biopsy and sent it to the lab, he first wanted to determine whether the tumour was affecting her spine or liver(?)

On the 28th of July he successfully removed the tumour that was in her intestines and sent it off to IDEXX Laboratories.

Photos of the tumour and Lab Report:

Photos and Lab report

> Storm came home on the 29th of July 2011.

> She defecated normal on the 2nd of August 2011.

> Went in for an examination on the 4th of August 2011 and everything looked normal. Dr. Shabeer was very impressed that she defecated. I was only allowed to offer her food after she has shed or the end of August.

> 24 August 2011 Storm's eyes became cloudy.

> 27 August 2011 Storm was stuck in her shedding but it was nothing to worry about.

> 28 August 2011 Storm ate 2 rats.

> 2nd of September 2011 she defecated again.

> 22nd of September 2011 the stitches were removed.

Video of the vet appointments.

Cancer video

by: Tomas o Dean
Proven Successful Secrets For Dating Black Women How to Get Emotionally Unavailable Men to Commit Magento Best Platform For Your Online Ecommerce Store Important Information To Know About Therapies As Well As Online Counseling Instant And Targeted Wrinkle Treatment Shop Mothers Of The Bride Dresses At Reputed Online Stores A Gout Diet Does Not Have To Be Boring Learn With Online Degree Programs Rock Revival Jeans - The Cool Style Check Project Finance Trends In The Global Wind Energy Market To 2015 Extreme Makeover Home Edition Episodes The Authenticity Of Selected Family A Guide To Wedding Dresses Selection - Understanding The Body Type Boost Your Online Sales With Seo Services Delhi
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.128.198.60) Michigan / Ann Arbor Processed in 0.014603 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 58 , 5527, 975,
My Snake Survived Cancer Ann Arbor