Insurances.net
insurances.net » Others » Kids' Fundraisers Are Perfect Young Entrepreneur Experiences
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Kids' Fundraisers Are Perfect Young Entrepreneur Experiences

Kids' Fundraisers Are Perfect Young Entrepreneur Experiences

It's seems like the first thing school kids get to do each year when they go back to school is go out and hawk the latest, greatest candy bar, hottest magazines or other stuff to attempt to raise money for their schools.

By the looks on children's faces as they stand behind card tables at various stores and banks, they don't like the experience much at all. The funny thing is that it seems like the parents dislike the activity as much as the kids do.

Even though this activity is generally no where to be seen on the kid's top ten favorite activities list, selling stuff to raise money can easily be turned into some of the child's most valuable life lessons. The following is the story of how I helped a very unwilling 12-year old girl into a smiling money-making young entrepreneur.

This Is How It Happened

Recently, while stopping at my local bank to cash a check, I noticed the usual fund-raising scenefolding table, a variety of chocolate bars, a mother who rather be doing just about anything else and a daughter wishing the time would fly much faster than it was.

When I walked out of the bank, I realized I could help so I stopped and, while the little girl's mom watched, I gave the young salesgirl some unsolicited coaching on how to kick some sales butt! She was from a local grade school and was raising funds by selling yummy chocolate bars to reluctant adults who often don't have the hear to say no to children but don't really have any desire to buy a chocolate bar.

As I walked out of the bank, I noticed that she wanted to ask me to buy something but didn't have the courage. I said, "So, are you going to ask me or what?" I think I shocked her a bit! I asked her what she was raising money for and she mumbled the name of her school three times before her mother finally had to said the name of the school in a way that I could understand.

I replied, "Oh, dear dearthis is never going to help you raise any money. Is it OK if I give you some friendly suggestions?"

She shrugged her shoulders Yes, so I started giving her a little, gentle sales coaching.

I introduced myself, and got her first name, and then talked to her about the importance of enrolling her prospects in why she was raising money. I suggested she ask questions to gauge how interested her prospective customers were in what she was doing. You see, she had been asking each adult, "Would you like to buy some chocolate?" Well, you know how well that was working.

We decided on, "Do you like to help kids?" Not many adults can say no to that!

Then, if they said, "Yes," she'd say something like, "Great. I'm raising money so the kids in our school can still experience music and art every week." Again, not many adults disagree that these skills often give kids an edge in life.

She smiled and I could tell she was eating it up. I asked if I could give her a little more coach coaching? Her smile and nodding head happily agreed this time.

How To Make The Best First Impression

She was standing very shy-like up until nowher hands behind her back, head down, shoulders slumpeda very protected, scared sort of stance. I told that people make an instant judgment about whether they want to talk to her by the way she was holding her body.

I suggested that she put her hands at her sides, plant her feet shoulder-width apart, pull up her head and chest and OWN that little money making stand! She loved it. She stood right up there and took command as soon as I instructed her how.

I then told her I was going to go to my car and we were going to role-play the whole scenario. She was eager. She asked me if I liked to help kids. I said, 'Yes." She told me what she was raising money for. I asked, "So what are my options?" I choose the chocolate bar with almonds and I gave her a five-dollar bill.

The Counting Back Money Lesson

This is the where the next lesson happened. She hadn't a clue how to count the three dollars in change back to me. Her mother helped from the other side of her little stand and we taught that little girl how to count the money backeven to the point of making sure the faces on the money were all pointed in the same direction. She glowed.

Added Value Lesson 101

Then came the final lesson. I said, "OK, now I'm going to show you how to do your best to sell TWO bars to each person. Want to learn how?" Her eyes and head nodded YES quicker than a shooting star.

I instructed, "What you do is thiswhen someone hands you their change AND they've given you enough for TWO bars, ask this question: "Who else do you know that would love a yummy bar of chocolate?" She just smiled at this little tip. I could see her brain starting to really get it.

Learning How To Network

I finally introduced myself to her mom, told them about my financial literacy program, Camp Millionaire, and gave them a card.

I proceeded to get into my car and move on with my day, knowing full well that the ten minutes I had just spent with that young lady, and her mother, would have a profound effect on the rest of their lives.

You see, you can't just tell kids (or adults) how to do something. You have to catch them in teachable moments, when they're motivated and open to learning and growing. This little girl, and her mother, were both in that space.

Sydney had just learned how easy it could be to raise money for her schoolsomething very important to her. Just imagine how much easier it will be if she ever needs to raise money for a gadget that could change the planet for the better.

Keep Your Eyes Open for Teachable Moments

Next time your children are asked to sell items to raise money for their school, use the opportunity to empower them with sales skills, communication skills, and money skills and watch their self-esteem grow by leaps and bounds.

Caution for parents: PLEASE DON'T DO THE JOB FOR YOUR KIDS. Many well-meaning parents try to 'help' their kids by doing the sales work for the kids. Children don't learn lessons this way. Refrain from helping and teach them instead.

It may just be the most valuable lessons your children take with them through life.
Why Russian brides online are popular these days Mahindra Xuv 500 Strength Of Beauty Green Deal A Step Ahead To Reduce Global Warming Purchase Generic Bactrim without a prescription West Sussex Adult Dating Profile Wholesaledeals Scam-the Rumors Are Fast Falling Apart An Online Debt Management Program Could Resolve Your Financial Problems Black Solo Parents Intimus 402CC Console Cross Cut Whisper Quiet Shredder Review Planning A Windy City Adventure? Pay Attention To This Advice On How To Grab Score Windy City Excurs How Do I Make My Penis Bigger Naturally For More Sexual Pleasure With My Woman? Improve Your Understanding About Motorcycle Battery Charger Two Must Visit Places In Trivandrum Kerala For Your Holidays by:Jason John
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.140.188.16) Michigan / Ann Arbor Processed in 0.015321 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 62 , 6531, 975,
Kids' Fundraisers Are Perfect Young Entrepreneur Experiences Ann Arbor