Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » It Is Important to Prevent Cavities in Early Childhood
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

It Is Important to Prevent Cavities in Early Childhood

Dr. Glenn Park is a dentist in Saratoga Springs, New York. At his practice, Glenn Park DDS PLLC, Park sees countless pediatric patients whose early childhood cavities will negatively impact their oral health down the road. That is why he says it is so important to properly educate parents about the importance of cavity prevention in young children.

Many parents may think that the health of a child's baby teeth is not all that important. After all, the teeth are going to fall out eventually. Unfortunately, this type of thinking is completely wrong. The biggest danger of having cavities during the early childhood years is that the cavities are likely to be a preview of what is to come.

Children who have multiple cavities during their youth are more likely to have future dental problems, specifically involving the nerves in the mouth, than those who did not have dental problems during their formative years. If a child comes into my office in Saratoga Springs for his first visit with the dentist already having six cavities, then he would most likely be concerned enough to speak with the parents about proper oral hygiene habits.It Is Important to Prevent Cavities in Early Childhood

Causes of Dental Problems

Diet Issues: Occasionally, diet issues in the home could be causing the dental problems that a child is experiencing. If there is some sort of deficiency or malformation of the teeth, then that could foreshadow trouble when it comes time for the adult dentition to come in. Weak enamel can become a problem later on as well if the cause of the issue is not diagnosed and fixed.

Fluoride: In my experience, one issue that comes up frequently with my younger patients is fluoride in the wateror a lack thereof. In Saratoga County, many families live in rural areas where well water is the only option. Well water does not have fluoride in it, like city water typically does, which is why I recommend that parents put their children on a fluoride supplement if they regularly drink well water.

Fluoride supplements can be prescribed by any dental professional or pediatric physician and should be taken from the age of six months all the way up to 16 years of age. I see a "tremendous difference" between adolescent patients who live in rural areas, where well water is the norm, versus those who live in city environments and regularly drink water with fluoride in it. I recommend that parents check with their pediatricians and find out exactly whether their well water has any type of fluoride in it or not.

Dangers of Cavities in Early Childhood

Infection: A dentist should be able to remove the decay in a child's teeth and put in filling material that would replace the tooth decay on a baby tooth. However, if a child's decay or cavity goes undetected for long enough, then what can happen is that the decay will lead to an infection in the mouth. That infection in the mouth, in turn, could possibly lead to an infection of the permanent tooth.

Staining: Another danger for children who get cavities in early childhood is something called hypercalcification of the teeth. Hypercalcification, which is a very aggressive type of staining, results in white spots on the teeth. These stains cannot be removed by a toothbrush, which is why it is so important to catch this type of issue as quickly as possible.

Systemic Issues: Tooth decay in children can also cause all sorts of systemic issues. I have heard that it can also make them prone to decay elsewhere on the adult dentition. Parents sometimes think that because the cavities are occurring in a child whose adult teeth have not yet grown in, that the decay will go away when the baby teeth fall out. That, unfortunately, is not the case.

If the child does have any adult teeth, then the decay can actually spread to those other teeth in the mouth. Just like any other type of infectionsuch as the flu, for examplethe decay on one tooth can affect the other. So having that bacteria strain in a child's mouth will, unfortunately, go to the adult teeth in the mouth eventually.

Remember, early prevention is the best way to prevent dental issues from happening. The American Dental Association now advises that children see a dentist by their first birthday. Because it can be difficult for very young children to practice good oral hygiene habits, it falls on parents and dental professionals to help young children learn how to care for their teeth.

The information in the article is not intended to substitute for the medical expertise and advice of your healthcare provider. We encourage you to discuss any decisions about treatment or care with an appropriate healthcare provider.
Watch Diary of a Wimpy Kid Rodrick Rules Full Movie Online Free Streaming No Surveys I Think My Child Has ADHD –If You Are In This Predicament, Read This Article! Diary of a Wimpy Kid Rodrick Rules Full Movie Online Free Watch Teen Mom 2 Season 1 Episode 12 free online by SADAM! Watch Teen Mom 2 Season 1 Episode 12 Entitled Judgement Day Getting the Best Toys Creative and Dramatic Play for Young Children Bedding for Children, unique bedding, bedding for kids rooms, child bedding sets Diabetes in Children: Adjusting to Life with Juvenile Diabetes A Phonak for Every Child, for all ages of Children and degrees of hearing loss with Naida and Audeo Yes, Cost How to Purchase High Quality Kites for Kids Is ADHD Treatable? – Looking At The Best Possible Options For Your Child Crocs For the children - The Ideal Little one Shoe?
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.144.104.29) / Processed in 0.013314 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 28 , 4821, 956,