Insurances.net
insurances.net » Children Insurance » Is Your Child Being Discouraged From Pursuing a Career in Science?
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Is Your Child Being Discouraged From Pursuing a Career in Science?

In a recent study by The Bayer Corporation it has been reported than many minorities

as well as women have been discouraged from pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM). Thereport indicates that the culprit is the American educational system.

40% of today's women and underrepresented minority chemists and chemical engineers in the United States say they were discouraged from pursuing a STEM career (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) at some point in their lives, according to the study (Bayer, 2010).

Those surveyed said that this happened to them mostly while they were in college, and the person most likely to discourage them is their instructor. Really? I found this study very interesting because I experienced this while I was an undergraduate student pursuing my computer science degree.

The incident occurred when I approached my advisor about my plans to double major in computer science and business. I needed his advice on adding the business major and to plan my route to register for the courses to reach my goal. I was already majoring in computer science and I wanted to add business administration and get credited for 2 degrees.

I was met with opposition from my advisor. He told me that he did not think I had what it took to complete a degree in computer science, let alone be successful at any attempt to double-major. My first thought was Wow! You can tell all of that about me from letter grades on a piece of paper?

My second thought was where is the encouragement? He suggested that I change my major to one less challenging than computer science and to forget about the idea of double majoring completely. I think not. I politely told him that I appreciate his feedback but I would expect him to help me file the needed paperwork to be registered as a double major and if he could direct me to an appropriate advisor in the business major.

I graduated in 1986 with a double major in computer science and business administration. I have enjoyed a very successful career in computer science and business. I must admit that I was somewhat surprised to learn that this still happens? Is this about the school I chose?

Was it personal for my advisor? Did my advisor think he was doing a good thing by giving me this advice? I do not know what the answer is, but what I do know is that it was not helpful to me. While I am studying the dearth of African American males in computing it is interesting to discover the myriad of social practices that lead to this situation.

How many young men have experienced this discouragement and decided to change majors to one less challenging? Do not fall victim to this type of discouragement. Be strong and move forward toward your goals. If your advisor or instructor is discouraging you find a new one. Find one that is positive and encouraging and who will work with you to encourage your success.

By: Kai Dup
Using Webwatcher Keylogger To Protect Your Children Children and golf Change The Child Bedroom Decor With Vinyl Wall Art Depression In Teenagers Going To Mexico Will Soothe And Exhilirate Your Kids With Its Beds, Fine Dining And Night Fun Child Safety on Airplanes Do You Consider These Halloween Safety Tips For Your Child? Should I Take Out Children's Trauma Insurance? Stories For Kids Methods To Treat Your Child's Tummy Ache Positive Child Discipline, A Few Suggestions, and 1 Shocking Fact! Verynice 2 Review Of Cutlery For Children New Updated Article Get Your Ex Boy Back In Five Steps
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.145.69.255) / Processed in 0.006359 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 20 , 3317, 956,