Insurances.net
insurances.net » Others » Introduction To The Commitment Of Traders (COT) Report
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

Introduction To The Commitment Of Traders (COT) Report

Commitments of Traders (COT) Report is a market report posted on Friday byU.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) on the Tuesday's open interest of Traders who are obliged by law to report on their open positions. It is used by Forex Traders.

The report looks at 3 Major Players in the Market. It breaks down Total Open Interest (O/I) into the 3 players' Long and Short positions. The 3 Traders are the Commercials, the non-Commercials and the Non-reportables.

A sample of the COT Report is show below.

The Commercials are commonly known as Smart Money, Big Dogs and Hedgers. They are usually the Producers and Consumers of the product or commodity. They have deep pockets and have the best knowledge and information of the market. Being Hedgers, they have positions on the Spot, Futures and Option market for their daily operations. They usually used Futures and Options market to reduce their risk exposure, thus hedging their risk over Spot Market.

The non-Commercials are also known as Large Speculators. They are usually trading the market without settlement, ie They do not want the physical product, they speculate in order to profit in the market.

The nonreportables are have the same objectives as the non-Commercials, and are usually negligible since their positions are rather small as compared with the 2 former.

One of the most common methods to analyse COT Report is using Net Positions and Total Open Interest. The setup will have the Commercials' Net Position and Total Open Interest, along with the Price Chart for Sentiments Analysis.

Net Position is derived from the difference between the Long Position and the Short Position. Whereas, Total Open Interest is the sum of Short Positions of the 3 Traders, which is a given value in COT Report.

In summary, when Commercials' Net Position is on extreme long position, with increased Total O/I, it is likely that the up trend will continue. Likewise if Commercials' Net Position is on extreme short position, with increased Total O/I, it is likely that the down trend will continue.

However, an ideal bull rally is when the Commercials' Net Position is on the extreme short position, with high Total O/I. This is due to extreme imbalance of the market, with most of the Traders on the Short side, thus, with no else willing to sell further. Therefore, a start in buying may eventually lead to the Bullish Rally, as more traders are squaring off their positions, short-covering their positions or even reverse their position.

An example of extreme Long position with High Total O/I is found here.

An illustration of extreme Short position with High Total O/I is found here.

Lastly, COT Analysis is a Sentiment Analysis, which does not contribute to an immediate Buy or Sell Signals. It gives an insight to the Big Traders Sentiments and with proper Technical Analysis, a speculator could tap this insiders' information to ride a BIG trend.
Lazy You... Procrastinating During The Holidays? It Might Not Be Laziness! Why Buy Fisher Price Singamajigs For Christmas What To Wear To A Winter Wedding by:Gertie Guide Online Silver Jewellery Purchase So, How Much Should Web Design Cost? Seo Outsourcing - Essential Enterprise Support In Contemporary Situations For Secure Online Transaction Use Binlookup Wedding loans: Get married in the way you desire Things To Keep In Mind Prior To Filing A Personal Injury Lawsuit Yahoo Store Design for Content Display Enhancements Part 6 Why Women Cheat? Reasons Why Women Cheat Learn English Online Via Skype Purchasing Drawing Art Supplies
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.142.98.108) / Processed in 0.013097 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 26 , 3128, 975,