Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » I Swam With Sharks in Australia. Was I Brave or Just Plain Stupid?
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

I Swam With Sharks in Australia. Was I Brave or Just Plain Stupid?

It has been called the ultimate in adventure travel in Australia and it's not difficult to see why

. I was almost frozen with fear and panic as a huge shark, jaws gaping, drifted towards me with the ease and grace of an Olympic Ice skater. I was swimming in the warm waters of Ningaloo Reef off the north west coast of Australia and strangely, after the initial adrenaline rush of excitement and terror, actually enjoyed the experience. I was sharing the moment with one of the ocean's rare and gentle giants. A unique experience I would remember forever. Why is this huge sea animal so different? Something special happens at Ningaloo Reef between March and June every year. It's so special it lures people from all over the world. They come to dive and swim with whale sharks, the world's largest fish, more than 12m long and weighing more than 11 tonnes. Whale sharks are found in few parts of the world and in only one part of Australia, so swimming with them is a rare privilege shared by the fortunate few. To share the ocean with these gentle giants is a breathtaking experience and thankfully their diet is plankton or krill, not humans. Whale sharks have never been known to attack unsuspecting tourists! What is swimming with them really like? I felt like a minnow beside these underwater giants and we were so close we could feel the whoosh of the water as they slid gracefully by. Nothing quite prepares you for the sight of these mammoths. Despite assurances that they're harmless, I couldn't help my heart skipping a beat as one came towards me, its mouth almost a metre wide. Suddenly, I felt a little too much like bait. It swam past me without even seeming to notice my terrified presence. Brad Norman is a Western Australian marine conservation biologist who swims with whale sharks and has dedicated his life to saving them. After hundreds of sightings, his blood still thrills as the great, spotted whale shark comes into view, gliding effortlessly forward, its pale, metre wide mouth agape to scoop up thousands of litres of protein rich sea water. "When they're deep down, they resemble a star field under water," he says. "As you swim above, the shark body seems to disappear and its white spots light up like stars in the night sky. It's an awe inspiring sight," says Norman. How can you enjoy this experience? It is not practical to attempt this on your own. You will need to be part of an organized diving and snorkeling day tour. These tour organizations have access to spotter aircraft to find the elusive creatures, they provide you with all the gear and take you to best sighting spots in safety and comfort. The tours are strictly managed to minimize interference with the whale sharks and maximize the "interaction" of humans with the fish. A number of operators offer day tours out of the nearest town, Exmouth on North West Cape. Tours can be arranged through the Exmouth Tourist Bureau. How do you get to Exmouth? Exmouth is about 1270 km north of Perth. It is easily accessed by car and regularly serviced by daily flights and buses from Perth. For speed and ease of access the best way to travel to Exmouth is by plane. A Skywest Airlines flight takes just under 3 hours and the company can also organize accommodation for you.

By: graeme lanham
Cargoes And Seaport Types Christmas Parties In Glasgow Christmas Parties In Liverpool Christmas Parties In Birmingham Christmas Parties In London Kerala Travel Information The Other Way To Travel Why Choose Gambia For Your Cheap Family Holiday Finding The Best Guided Tours Of Ireland Kovalam Beach Will Bewitch You Importance Of Camcorder Bags Have You Experienced The Water Spring Of Emirates? How About Spending Holidays Only With Your Loved Ones?
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(18.117.137.64) Georgia / Atlanta Processed in 0.014056 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 4 , 3426, 954,
I Swam With Sharks in Australia. Was I Brave or Just Plain Stupid? Atlanta