Insurances.net
insurances.net » Travel Insurance » I Love Italian Travel - The Marches Wine Tours by:Levi Reiss
Auto Insurance Life Insurance Health Insurance Family Insurance Travel Insurance Mortgage Insurance Accident Insurance Buying Insurance Housing Insurance Personal Insurance Medical Insurance Property Insurance Pregnant Insurance Internet Insurance Mobile Insurance Pet Insurance Employee Insurance Dental Insurance Liability Insurance Baby Insurance Children Insurance Boat Insurance Cancer Insurance Insurance Quotes Others
]

I Love Italian Travel - The Marches Wine Tours by:Levi Reiss

So you are planning to visit Marches, a little region of Italy on the Adriatic Sea

. The Marches (it's often spelled with The) is relatively unknown to tourists. This is a great place to see the real Italy. Sights to see include the college town of Urbino with a lovely Palazzo Ducale that houses the Galleria Nazionale delle Marche and the Casa Natale de Raffaello, the house in which Raphael was born. While the National Gallery doesn't contain much work by Raphael, you may enjoy Titian's Resurrection and Last Supper.

The coastal city of Pesaro has the usual (for Italy) components of Ducal Palace, Cathedral, castle, churches, and museums. One museum is devoted to a local boy, the opera composer Rossini. Head further down the coast to the port of Ancona and visit the Duomo di San Ciriaco (Cathedral). Stroll the streets of the old city. Loreto is home to the Santuario della Santa Casa (House of the Virgin Mary). Festival time is Easter week and December 10, the Feast of the Holy House. Finish your tour at Ascoli Piceno. Visit the Piazza del Populo (Square of the People) and the Thirteenth Century Palazzo dei Capitani del Populo (Palace of the People's Captains). Festival time is the first Sunday in August, a day devoted to the city's patron saint, Saint Emidio.

Marches, tucked between the Appennine Mountains and the Adriatic Sea, produces two top of the line wines, Rosso Cnero Riserva DOCG made from mostly Montepulciano and up to 15% Sangiovese grapes in the hills surrounding Mount Cnero near Ancona. The Vernaccia di Serrapetrona DOCG is a red sparkling wine made mostly from the Vernaccia Nera grape near Macerata towards the region's center. The regions' most popular wines are the white Verdicchios: Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi DOC and Verdicchio di Matelica DOC. They are usually dry but can be sweet. Be careful, their quality is variable. Try to find Bianchello del Metauro DOC wine from the rare Biancame white grape.

In addition to the grape varieties mentioned previously common white varieties include the Italian Trebbiano, Chardonnay, and Sauvignon Blanc. The local red Lacrima is fairly rare. Common red varieties include Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Syrah.I Love Italian Travel - The Marches Wine Tours by:Levi Reiss

Companies that sell wine tours of The Marches include Prime Italy, Vineria la Birba, Hotel Universal Senigala, and Wine Tour Italia. Marches wineries that accept visits include Il Conte in Momteprandone and Casa Vinicola Gioacchino Garofoli in Loreto. Belisario in Matelica offers an extensive wine bar. A few words of warning are in order. Make sure that you check ahead of time for opening hours and whether English is spoken. Some places may charge admission; others may expect you to buy some of their products.

About the author

Over the years Levi Reiss has authored or co-authored ten books on computers and the Internet but simply prefers drinking fine Italian or other wine, with the right foods. He teaches a variety of computer classes at an Ontario French-language community college. Visit his Italian travel website http://www.travelitalytravel.com which includes information on Italian wine and food.
China Inbound Tourism to Trigger Strong Growth during 2011 - 2013 by:Shushmul Maheshwari I Love Italian Travel - Wine Touring In Lombardy by:Levi Reiss Party Venues in London and Further Afield by:Sara Allom Come With Me On A Walk Around Manchester by:Peter Robert Hayes A Guide to South Devon Beaches by:Sally Nightingale Explore Mid Devon: Tiverton by:Sally Nightingale I Love Italian Travel - Liguria Wine Tours by:Levi Reiss Conferencing in Devon by:Sally Nightingale Exploring North Devon - Lynmouth and Lynton by:Sally Nightingale Holidaying In The South Hams by:Sally Nightingale Tours to Kerala - The Joy of Kerala Tour Packages by:Mohd Zaheerul Hasan I Love Italian Travel - Wine Touring In Latium by:Levi Reiss Cheap Airline Flights - 3 Bright Ideas To Try When Booking by:John Anthony Vine
Write post print
www.insurances.net guest:  register | login | search IP(3.145.56.28) / Processed in 0.007678 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 12 , 3274, 954,